New (and old?) scams, spams and phishinh?

JohnD

image.png.1c02559350ffe85fb5c286dff15c9534.png

Received this email this morning.      In an age when we all are ordering more and more items online, it makes you wonder if it could be genuine.

But it aint.   The Royal Mail themselves are warning about them.  See: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6905/~/what-email-%2F-text-%2F-facebook-message-scams-should-i-be-aware-of%3F

Be cautious, be safe.

John

I was taught that before you click on a unsolicited email web address, especially if its unexpected to hover the cursor over the web address. Your browser/email suite should then tell you the real address where you will be connected to. It brings up some very interesting addresses.

Two from BT here; note the sender's address - I don't think BT use Languagetrainers or mail.archtoarchitect, but these are only the sites or services the spammers use to send the e-mail. The real enemy is in the 'change payment option' clickable link, which I don't go anywhere near. It's also funny how so many TV Licence, BT or Bank scams have the address ending in .be - isn't that Belgium?

1249785077_ScreenShot2020-09-05at21_01_31.thumb.png.0cb752c63200fb9c0a36931858cfd73b.png

714639265_ScreenShot2020-09-05at21_01_44.jpg.1d57591d22dfcbd3c46b230d18411b67.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If anybody has time on their hands:

Dear Esteem Customer,

We have deposited your compensation funds with Ora bank, we deposited it with the bank due to our inability to transfer your total funds through western union or moneygram money transfer service. $1,850,000.00 USD, One Million eight hundred and fifty thousand dollars, Compensation funds to be paid to you. Kindly contact Orabank with your information where you want your funds to be delivered to or transferred to. Contact bank via email:

ora.group@mail2bank.com

You are to instruct the bank how you want to receive your funds.

This will be required from you.

Your full name.

Your phone number

Your address

Thanks and be blessed

Chris Bomuncha

Director western Union

2 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi Colin,

What does the link say when you hover the mouse over?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/ is  a legit site.

I would run it on a VM & type in random characters to see what they are doing to make coin.

No idea; I screenshotted it then deleted it. The e-mail address it came from is enough to point towards a scam.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest, fresh off the press this morning - this one from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, which is an amazing coincidence as a letter telling me that my car tax is due has also arrived.

Yet another one originating from telenet.be. The actual link that appears if you hover the mouse over the update link is at the bottom.

129370970_ScreenShot2020-10-10at12_16_33.jpg.01fb8b4f86f97db6074279f476a4366e.jpg

831275692_ScreenShot2020-10-10at12_14_25.jpg.65d7b53efdd8cf9890103b71eb67719a.jpg

1127891304_ScreenShot2020-10-10at12_19_28.jpg.0761e230fd3d517ed78d32714cceb886.jpg

I've forwarded it on to report@phishing.gov.uk and they've sent me a reply to tell me that this is the - wait for it - 2,930,000th scam e-mail they've received.

ive been having phone calls ,  your washing m/c  your TV   your fridge  warranty  and of course you will be charged for amazon prime followed by your internet will be disconnected always some oriental speak , 

i record all the phone numbers on "who called me"  https://who-called.co.uk/

most has daft phone numbers from all over the uk some international   blocking withheld doesnt stop them 

i do get a bit short and what part of " off " dont you understand   

i have not gone for the telephone preference service just yet but its tempting 

Pete

Mum used to get 3 or 4 of these calls a day, so we got her a Call Guardian system. If your not on her list it asks your name and then asked mum if she wants to take the call. Most scammers don’t bother giving a name and dial off. If they do give a name mum had the choice to ignore.

Doug

Beware the “single ring”phone scam.

Recently been getting just  “single ring” calls on my mobile.

They show as missed calls -from Morocco!

Not having any reason to expect a  call from Morocco, I did not ring back.

I hear that  if you  do ring back out, of curiosity perhaps,  you are are linked to, or re- directed to, some very expensive  call line with the intention  keeping you on as long as possible whilst large charges accrue.

-and then  you be then pestered with a lot more calls from different sources.

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Mum used to get 3 or 4 of these calls a day, so we got her a Call Guardian system. If your not on her list it asks your name and then asked mum if she wants to take the call. Most scammers don’t bother giving a name and dial off. If they do give a name mum had the choice to ignore.

Doug

We have this and it's great. You do need the service that informs your phone of the number calling (sorry can't remember what it's called) but after a year of using this, we now don't get any unwanted calls

Recommend it to you Pete. Phone was a bit pricey - around 80 quid I think from BT.

Aidan

Some time ago Doug posted details of a call screening phone he had bought for his mother. I followed this up and bought a BT model. Not had one dodgy call since I installed it. Very worthwhile. Been on the telephone preference scheme for years.. useless. Bent the ears of numerous Virgin employees including one higher manager.. useless. Bought this gadget, brilliant, works on Virgin too. One tip, unless you need to be called back, when you have to enter your phone number on the internet as a required field, enter a random 11 digit number starting with 01xxxxxxxxx. Then its useless to anyone when it gets sold on and you won't get bothered.

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

One tip, unless you need to be called back, when you have to enter your phone number on the internet as a required field, enter a random 11 digit number starting with 01xxxxxxxxx. Then its useless to anyone when it gets sold on and you won't get bothered.

Pha, you're not even trying!

Unless you actually WANT to be contacted, and let's fact it half the time you find yourself being forced to sign up with loads of details just to view something, then there are some more fun form field options.

Postcode: SW1A 1AA - easy to remember and a real postcode...some big house situated at the end of The Mall in London.
Telephone: Scroll to the bottom of the page and open the "Contact Us"/"Our Offices"/etc link in a new tab, then grab one of their own telephone numbers.  If you're feeling lazy "01234567890" will get past most validators.