New (and old?) scams, spams and phishinh?

JohnD

4 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I just chickened out of this one:

1977245298_ScreenShot2021-05-31at10_57_23.jpg.3a49791b009313eb10524ba4f32b5fb3.jpg

I've checked so many times that it's genuine, or seems to be; read other accounts online, gone through 'my messages' on eBay... but I'm still reluctant to give them my bank details. If I don't, according to their bumf it's bye bye eBay after twenty years but after giving them my new address (they only had the old one) date of birth and all other details they now want my bank account... and it's a big leap of faith. Has to be done by today or else. Maybe I'm just too careful?

Yes - I reluctantly went ahead but it was a hassle. We have a joint account which we use for online stuff (Amazon, PayPal, etc) but when I tried to register it eBay would not accept it - I never did get an answer to if the problem was that it was a joint account or if I had listed our names the wrong way round.

I then remembered I had an old unused (since 2014) account with another bank from when when I was acting as my Mum's 'Deputy' (she had dementia) which was in my name only. As it is a branch account & unused I had no recent statements to prove it was mine; luckily I had the old cheque book & was able to scan in a voided cheque which seemed to satisfy them. No doubt it would have been easier if I used on-line banking!!

You can still buy on eBay without using their new sales system.

They are true these emails from Fleabay, it's to stop our foreign friends and drug dealers money laundering apparently...../ Although personally i think its so they make more money from holding on to your money longer :(  They still let you buy as you say, thats because they would be losing out on the sellers commission...... Either way the bunch of bankers have got you.

Tony.   

Moral of the story is use a 'dead' bank account for on line only. Put money/take money quickly. Use it only when you need to and limit usage to particular traders. That way if anything untoward does happen you can easily point the finger to unauthorised transactions.

On a lighter note, many, many years ago, I once processed a card transaction and after entering the amount asked the client to check the amount, press enter and enter the pin number when prompted. She didn't press enter firmly enough and didn't read the screen. She then entered her pin number giving a total to pay of several thousand pounds. We spotted the error in time thankfully, but it's just too easy to make mistakes normally, never mind when being hassled by someone trying to scam you.

1 hour ago, Chris Longhurst said:

You can still buy on eBay without using their new sales system.

Aha - now that's sounds ok. I've no intention of selling anything more with them since they're now charging 12.5% fees. As long as I can still buy, that's ok.

19 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Colin, I am a very regular Ebayer and I have NOT had anything like that from them.

IGNORE :)

ATB.

I think if you buy only from EB you would not receive one (according to friends I have spoken to) - you would only get one if you are (were) a seller.

Jeff - Are you selling buying or both. 

I vaguely remember getting a message something like Colin's. I deleted it. I only sell very occasionally and when I do it's in their special selling deals. It is all to do with separating from PayPal and clawing business back to them.

6 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

My bad! 

I have only sold once, many years ago. Your both right, I am a buyer. 

So........what should Colin do ????

If he is buying only - nothing; why give them bank details that they do not need!

If he wants to sell - register details otherwise (as i understand it) you are blocked from selling.

yea, I just Googled it and it seems that last June time they contacted sellers so they themselves, not PayPal would handle the transactions for sellers. Buyers are still OK with PayPal.

I guess the 'occasional' seller may also hit problems ?? 

Found this via Google:-

When I visit my selling page and review how I get paid I see the following: "Getting paid has changed: Fees and expenses will be deducted before you get paid out and the remainder of your earnings will go directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account. Get set up in a few easy steps."

When I go to the customer service site, it mentions no such option (see link below). I am very concerned about giving out may bank account info:.https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-sold?id=4135

Also just found this on Ebay:-

We’ve made some updates

eBay now manages payments. If you are new to selling on eBay and are getting paid to your bank account, or if eBay already manages payments for your account, some information on this page may no longer be relevant to you. eBay will send your payouts directly to your bank account instead of PayPal. Your fees, expenses and charges will be automatically deducted from your earnings.

I wonder how its going to work selling stuff on ebay then if the buyer wants to use Paypal? Presumably they pay ebay with Paypal, ebay takes its cut and pays the rest to the sellers bank account plus is also responsible for paying Paypal's fee. The seller has saved the original 5% Paypal fee but ebay has increased their charge by 2.5% to cover the fee theyve agreed with Paypal....

Theyve been pestering me to add my bank details for ages but Im nervous and will leave it until I want to sell something!

Likewise I too have had this "conversation" with E-Bay. Having sold cars (two R-V`s) and other stuff. At the moment I`ve nothing to sell that won`t go on Facebook Market (free). If I need to I have an "empty" Bank account I could use (well it`s had £1 in it for years, since I retired and it was no longer needed for my "expenses").

Pete

Thanks guys, some great advice and discussion as always. That's why I'm always bouncing questions about here!

If I can still buy, and choose my own way to pay, then that's what I'll do and if eBay want me to be a seller they can make it easier, safer and cheaper... until then I'll just hoard my stuff.

If any of my banks ever reopened or were within reasonable distance I'd look into opening a small account just for eBay, but there's no urgency and I'll bide my time for now.

Colin - I can !end you one of my obsolete accounts for a small fee based on a percentage of cash in, cash out, balance of the account at month end and when the moon in in the second house and Jupiter aligns with Mars. I will, of course take the fee no matter whether you become overdrawn, and charge you extortionately for it making you further overdrawn. Oh, that's the way the banks do it now, so maybe not!! You can just make a straight payment into my friends account in N*geri* who has fallen on hard times.

13 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Colin - I can !end you one of my obsolete accounts for a small fee based on a percentage of cash in, cash out, balance of the account at month end and when the moon in in the second house and Jupiter aligns with Mars. I will, of course take the fee no matter whether you become overdrawn, and charge you extortionately for it making you further overdrawn. Oh, that's the way the banks do it now, so maybe not!! You can just make a straight payment into my friends account in N*geri* who has fallen on hard times.

You would have been on a real winner if you'd started of: "Beloved friend, I am the widow of the minister for ****" 

I just can't resist a female with a sob story.

Rats...now he tells me.

Maybe, Dear Friend I am a small female wolfette with big brown eyes, soft dark hair and a willingness to please.... I am also only 20kg in weight, have 4 paws and tail, am a Collie/Labrador cross, and am cute beyond belief. Welll, it might have worked.

There is, I think, a new one, on Facebook.

Many of my 'friends' (they are friends, but not only  because Fb calls them so) seem to be posting their undying gratitude to, " everyone for telling me how to do the bypass. I wondered where everybody had been!   This is good to know: It's ridiculous to have so many friends and only 25 are allowed to see my posts."

Each one has the same wording, and most are people I would not expect to express gushing thanks for anything.

Is this an Fb campaign, using its extensive database (60% of the World's population!) to promote something?  Or, and more likely, some scam?  I'm not going to respond in kind!

John

17 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Maybe, Dear Friend I am a small female wolfette with big brown eyes, soft dark hair and a willingness to please.... 

Stop there, you're on a winner. 

When you got to the 20kg in weight part I thought: dammit I'll have to feed her too....

Here's another one, that made me begin to doubt my scepticism.

I had a landline phone call, "THis is BT it's about your Internet service"    I told them to go away.

Before I sat down they rang again, "This really is BT,  we will send you an email."   Go away.

And again, "Please look for the email, to prove what I say."      GO AWAY! I'M BUSY!

But there was an email, apparantky from "btcomms@info.bt.com"

image.png.5359064c9269f32a9c77327a548d64a0.png

Convincing, isn't it?     Was there really a problem with my Internet?    I had been busily surfing when they rang, no troubles.

So I used Google to find the BT webpage and their Broadband helplne, for online chat.      I told "Shovon" what had happened.  They said, give me a few minutes and your address.   No probs, this was the BT website that I had contacted.    And sure enough, a few minutes later they caame back - this is a phishing attack.      Ignore it.    Thank you for the details, our security team will pursue them!

So, maintain your scepticism!    Check with the real website of the company that someone purports to be, and in general ignore anyone who cold calls you!

JOhn

44 minutes ago, JohnD said:

So, maintain your scepticism! 

Oh, yes definitely.

A few years ago we received an offer for a free mid-week break at CenterParcs due to us being valued customers.

Yes, right free break, who are they kidding especially as we hadn't been to one for a good few years.

Googles CenterParcs and rang them. They asked for the reference of the offer and low and behold it was genuine. I double checked yes the cottage was free we just had to pay for any extras, restaurant, bike hire. The chap did say we weren't the first to phone and check it out.

No such thing as a free lunch but free holiday . . .

On 31/05/2021 at 11:54, poppyman said:

They are true these emails from Fleabay, it's to stop our foreign friends and drug dealers money laundering apparently...../ Although personally i think its so they make more money from holding on to your money longer :(  They still let you buy as you say, thats because they would be losing out on the sellers commission...... Either way the bunch of bankers have got you.

Tony.   

Just found this on the BBC news pages..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57318294