Rabbit

Rabbit

I have a query on the suspension height of my Spitfire MkIII 1968. Tyres are 145x80x13 and the floor to wing edge, front, is 22 1/8 in or 535mm. The wishbones are at an angle of approx 15 degrees, suspension is quite hard but I am wondering if the floor to wing edge gap should be say 22 1/2in ? The springs are new. Drives OK but sometimes bottoms out on our beautifully maintained country roads!

The paralellity is irrelevant.  It's the height you want it at that is.

If you do want it lower, then you must make it stiffer, else the same suspension travel will allow it to ground.     What's the history, Rabbit?     Have you modified the suspension?    Or was it the DPO?

In the Us, they think that 'chopping' coil springs will make them stiffer and lower the suspension.   It won't, or not significantly.     Has your DPO gone that route?

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

In the Us, they think that 'chopping' coil springs will make them stiffer and lower the suspension.   It won't, or not significantly.     Has your DPO gone that route?

John

They do the same in the mod-shop three hundred yards from me. They also heat them red hot then when the car has settled to where they want it, they throw cold water over the springs. If you drive behind them on the road it looks so uncomfortable, as if there's no suspension at all.