13/60 convertible rear seat removal

Jeffds1360

Is a doddle. The mention of drilling rivets had me worried!

Just remove hood trim and fold up, two 2BA screws to side pieces and it is the tiny poppers you need to remove by drilling out. They are the same as hood studs, cost coppers and possibly screw new ones in, or pop rivet. They are only for the hood cover if you use one anyway.

Got full access now to weld up my seatbelt fixings . Going to cost a ton for both sides. Fitting inertia belts is also a doddle with Securon adjustable retractor, like for the MGB GT. Few pictures to follow. Probably in a random order :)

20200907_154746.jpg

20200907_150201.jpg

20200907_150210.jpg

20200907_150605.jpg

20200907_150613.jpg

Thanks for that. The car has been looked after surprisingly well apart from what I found. ( and may find! :( )  For example the front footwells are immaculate! The carpets have never been wet. 5 previous owners,  last the daughter of the 4th but who knows who before??

Someone loved it and someone else abused it! 

Good run out today with temporary seat belt restraint for me 😉

• Like 1

Fitted the Securon adjustable seat belts to my Vitesse Convertible some years ago, from memory had to make a new fixing points, with seatbelt reinforcing plates, on the rear wheel arch to get clearance when the hood was down.

One side was more difficult because of the seat belt orientation adjusters.

Regards

Paul

I had no problem fitting the passenger side but needed to extend it back a touch and up an inch so the adjuster would clear the seat back frame and allow adjustment. You can fit them at any angle, that is their benefit, you just set the two adjusters. The closer to horizontal the better but they work fine. Mt favorite buy so far!!

Drivers side after the welding and of course I could put the captive nut and plate anywhere on the arch then then.

Just now, 68vitesse said:

They can sometimes be a pain if parked on a sharp camber or steep hill, they lock trying to put them on, trust you have tried them with the hood fitted and down.

Regards

Paul

I was wondering how much clearance there will be between the frame and the wheelarch when folded up... I'd check but my rear tub is currently upside down.

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I was wondering how much clearance there will be between the frame and the wheelarch when folded up... I'd check but my rear tub is currently upside down.

From memory not much, hence the relocation of the seat belt fixing point.

Regards

Paul

Yes Pete. It does not pass through any 'walls' so just a PO leftover.

Is there anything I should check, clean, protect etc. while I have my back half exposed??? I have a few hours free tomorrow and am just fitting stainless brake drum to hub screws and rubber covers to all my bleed, grease and oil nipples. Unfortunately the wife does not want any. :(

Well, I've wire brushed and wiped it all down. Is there a recommended 'spray' or brush on treatment ? I used to use 'wax oil' but do not know if that is still about, it was clear colour. I've got some under body spray treatment but is black and ugly.  What do you reckon?

🤑 It will be seen by all and sundry :)

&0 year old guy called johnny did a brill job, I gave him a ton and he was ecstatic. Both sides reinforced (and painted!!

Drivers side reel needs to be extended 2" forward and down 1/2" to clear frame when roof down as they are not 'handed' and the adjusting parts are on top on the o/s. All a learning curve but so good to have inertia ... love it 

14 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Really pleased at the result for you Jeff, you deserve a bit of luck at last :) 

Tony. 

The man's got a Herald convertible!! That's all the luck you'll ever need.

I think you guys are getting better weather over there than the torrential rain we're getting, so we can't even get our hoods down!

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The man's got a Herald convertible!! That's all the luck you'll ever need.

I think you guys are getting better weather over there than the torrential rain we're getting, so we can't even get our hoods down!

Looking at the weather forecast Colin it always seems to raining in Northern Ireland...... That might be why you get charged more for postage, because the postie gets wet?

Tony.