acceptable oil pressure on vitesse 2l mk2.

Prince Brainier of Meccano

Pretty sure the only figures are for hot running (I assume 2000+rpm?) and are 40-60psi. 

But don't get too hung up on oil pressure. Gauges are often inaccurate (so to be reliable you need to check a few ) and as long as the oil quality is good, and the oil light isn't permanently on when idling, the pressure should be adequate. 

FWIW I have had well over 80psi indicated when cold, but really high oil pressure when hot is not helpful.

11 minutes ago, clive said:

Pretty sure the only figures are for hot running (I assume 2000+rpm?) and are 40-60psi.

Exactly.

My Spitfire and GT6 fit this specification. My TR6 is always higher but in 15 years ownership, there have been no bad consequences. Inaccurate gauge perhaps?

Nigel

there are no specification for idle pressures  just  what  Clive posted  

one can assume the low pressure switch set at 6 -8lb" is the lower limit minimum.

my 2000 runs at 80 cold  60 running hot  

gauges ..........are just a worry accessory most only look at them when something noisy alerts them  

i have a citroen cactus 130 and it has a digi speedo and fuel gauge only  ...dosnt take long to find you dont miss all the others 

and just drive with a smile 

pete

My GT6 runs at 80 cold and 50 hot, but as Pete says gauges aren't accurate, their purpose is to show you if it's the same as yesterday.

In my view the more gauges whizzing about the better, my favourite is the vacuum gauge, hypnotic, difficult to keep eyes on the road. 

Doug

4 minutes ago, Prince Brainier of Meccano said:

It has always been a tired pressure switch.

My first car, a Mk1 Vitesse, had a few incidents of the oil light coming on, so I went to the trouble of replacing the big end bearings... to no avail. Then somebody suggested I check the switch or fit a gauge. Guess what I found...