Vitesse 1600/6 Convertable - Seat Belts

martyn wright

Hi All!  I have done some research and found that Seat Belts where not Factory Fitment on my year Vitesse?  I have the holes ready but apparently they where a Dealer extra!   On checking the photos taken when I first had the car there shows a set of "Grey" front belts.  These again where missing when the car came back from restoration in Hereford?  Since then I purchased a set of Inerta Reel Belts without fully checking if they would fit or not!  (this was about 2/3 years ago)  On looking at them yesterday there is no fitting info at all in the box so was wondering if anyone had fitted them and could give me a few hints??

Kind Regards Martyn

Grey as in silver? That was a common choice of colour; but the mounting points would have been there even if the belts weren't fitted - my 948 Coupe never had belts but the captive nuts were behind the trims and bodywork.

Inertia reels were definitely not factory fitment on that age of car, but you'll find plenty of members here who have fitted them and can advise.

Hi Martyn. Are your seatbelt reels adjustable for fitting angle? (They will have two rotatable adjusters on one end?) If not, my understanding is that you cannot fit them. 

I have pictures of the rear arch fitting points on my 13/60 and can get some pictures the others points if you want. I'm sure the vitesse is the same.

Hi Pete!  The unit that holds the reel of belt would be Vertical fitted to the bottom of the "B" Post then looking at it, there is room approx 1"or 2"  from the top to fit the other part of the seat belt?  I haven't tried it yet as it takes two to assess where the belt fits over the shoulder?  If you see what I mean!

Hi Pete/Colin!  The unit that holds the reel of belt would be Vertical fitted to the bottom of the "B" Post then looking at it, there is room approx 1"or 2"  from the top to fit the other part of the seat belt?  I haven't tried it yet as it takes two to assess where the belt fits over the shoulder?  If you see what I mean!

As far as I see I should be able to fit a inerta fixed reel to my Converable?  after looking at the "Fitting of Seatbelts" you sent Colin!

2 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

As far as I see I should be able to fit a inerta fixed reel to my Converable?  after looking at the "Fitting of Seatbelts" you sent Colin!

You can certainly fit them, as I've seen many times over the years, but there are some versions that can only be fitted vertically. Any tilt will activate the mechanism and so they'll be impossible to use. You need to check which you have so you can be sure they'll work at an angle.

if you fit reels to the rear wheel arch they have to be able to adjust the pendulum action to suit and the wheel arch needs a offset bracket to position the reel 

I think to be more outboard  ....which you dont see about 

ive been asked to fit some but have refrained due to complications so dont have any clues about  convertibles in general 

Pete

I have just done the same as Chris and although the passenger side was quite simple to fit and clear the hood when down, as the adjusters are on the bottom that side, the drivers side, (as they are not 'handed') meant the adjusters are on the top and too high to clear the hood frame. This meant extending the fitting point forward and down. I am not 100% that a rigorous MoT tester would approve of using the brackets (supplied with the adjustable reels) to do this, although all tension passes through the correct bolts, there are 3 of them.

I can supply photos if anyone is desperate! Setting the adjusters is a nightmare as you have to do it 'off the car's then bolt in place and hope you got it right.

You cannot fit non adjustable reels on a convertible as there is no point above shoulder level to bolt to.

Well!  Thank You all for the input!  I was fitting Seat Belts for our own safety!  I will now stick to Static 3 point Belts as there are none on the car!  I have the original plugged hole to fit the new set.  My brother can have the non-angle inerta ones for his Viva.  Anyone know who has the best and cheapest ones please?

Have a look at this one; it shows the small loops in the floorpan for the earlier mountings. There's a small strengthening plate underneath. The bracket on top of the tunnel is not factory-fitted; there would have been a larger curved plate into which both seatbelts would be looped and stitched; it bolts to the bodywork by two bolts into a plate underneath. The third mounting point is top of the B post.

seat_belts_general1_4136.thumb.jpg.9b08ac431acec9a20057c8c0cd82d1ac.jpg

Later cars would have a 7/16"UNF nut welded to a reinforcement plate under the floor where those loops are, and an eye bolt would fit into that for the belt end. For modern belts, just remove the eye bolt and bolt the belt bracket to the floor. Similar fitting inboard but 'nut' is part of the chassis.