Sump plug stuck

Jeffds1360

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

How do you lads get rid of waste oil? I used to have a patch of garden that would outperform sauid Arabia but the wife has banned me from using it now :( I told her it would attract wildlife but no.

A lot of garages might take it, around here a lot of them have waste oil heaters.

Tony.

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

And some councils are of the opinion that old engine oil is a commercial product so you have to pay fir privilege of disposal

The more "normal" rule is that private individuals who service the car themselves can dispose of their used engine oil free. The problem is proving you're a private individual. If you have three gallons of waste oil (because you've just serviced all three of your classics) they assume you must be a garage.

Our chain of Supercheap Auto Accessory Shops here in Vic hves a oil disposal bin BUT it must be in the product oil containers usually 4 to 5 lts.

obviously they are serviced by a local oil recycler, 

a good service and it stops me using the old oil to protect the perimeter fence posts from termites and rot when poured around the post in ground! As the hardwood fences last 20 years you can only use so much old oil!

10 hours ago, NonMember said:

The more "normal" rule is that private individuals who service the car themselves can dispose of their used engine oil free. The problem is proving you're a private individual. If you have three gallons of waste oil (because you've just serviced all three of your classics) they assume you must be a garage.

I get that all the time; a few weeks back they took my personal details and car reg and made me sign a form to confirm that I was not running a business. I only have one vehicle with a tow bar so it's used for a lot of grass, stable sweepings, cardboard etc. I'm over there maybe once a week. However re the disposal of oil: they have a large container, like a home heating oil tank, and that gets all my waste oil. 

13 hours ago, NonMember said:

If you have three gallons of waste oil (because you've just serviced all three of your classics) they assume you must be a garage.

Or the 10 gallons as you got fed up with your spare engines oozing on the floor so you drained the sumps.

😞

i am working on a plan to soak it all up,with old rags and newspaper and have one hell of a smoky bonfire... 🙂

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I get that all the time; a few weeks back they took my personal details and car reg and made me sign a form to confirm that I was not running a business. I only have one vehicle with a tow bar so it's used for a lot of grass, stable sweepings, cardboard etc. I'm over there maybe once a week. However re the disposal of oil: they have a large container, like a home heating oil tank, and that gets all my waste oil. 

Lucky you, Colin!    I have a twin axle trailer, which is asssumed to be commercial, so that I can only take it to the tip if I apply to the Council for a posted ( and not online!) permit allowed to ratepayers, once a month!   That takes a week to ten days to arrive, goodness knows how long under Covid!

The last time I used it was to take our two used Xmas trees to the tip.    I was warned off by a marshal as above, so parked up and dragged them by hand into the disposal area.   Where I was shouted at for being a pedestrian in a vehicular area by a leg-bourne but no doubt highly-trained disposal operative.    Thank goodness for the local charity that now goes around collecting old trees for disposal, for a small fee!

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Lucky you, Colin!    I have a twin axle trailer, which is asssumed to be commercial, so that I can only take it to the tip if I apply to the Council for a posted ( and not online!) permit allowed to ratepayers, once a month!   That takes a week to ten days to arrive, goodness knows how long under Covid!

Now that's quite interesting, as we tried to apply for a licence - £35 - due to the stable waste, but were told as it was only a domestic house and a pet horse, not a business, we didn't need one. The licence is annual, so covers twelve months and allows for a bigger amount of waste than the domestic dwelling arrangement. I'm halfway between two tips, with another one 12 miles away, so as I'm fed up being checked I've started using the first two with the third in reserve. If they begin collating data I'm in real trouble.