GT6 Gear lever refurb kit query

Pbruce9393

I have recently bought a GT6 Mk3 which has almost immediately developed a problem with gear selection & a lack of springiness for reverse. There are a few threads on here about the spring cap wearing away and/or the circlip coming loose, which describe the problem & solution exactly.

I’ll be having a look at it this weekend, and hoping that it is an easy fix, but there is some debate about some of the kits actually being part of the problem in the first place.

Any recommendation abou which is the best kit to buy .

Thanks

Peter

2AA7CCBF-95F6-49CD-A12C-10E42ACB768D.jpeg

Make sure that you carefully re-bush/washer the bottom of the stick. Mine was put together badly and the hole is now enlongated so much that it runs the risk of the bottom section breaking off entirely. I intend to get it welded up, reshaped and re-drilled over the winter. I just hope that it lasts that long.

i would suggest the same 

the reverse spring circlip is the hardest bit to remove , must be a square section clip or it will jump off its groove

the tin sperical washers on many kits have a razor sharp cropped edges that must be binned or filed smooth 

if you sperical is in bgood shape leve alone some repro are far to soft and soon split or jam up 

some parts in the kit wont be used 

pete

I did this job recently on my Spitfire. I bought a kit from Canley. I was a bit disappointed that there was no instructions and I posted on here to be told “it is very straightforward and will become fairly obvious as you start the tear down”. Sure enough, it was. Having done it, the difference to the gear change is quite amazing.

Also as I was told, there will be a few parts in the kit that you’ll consider unnecessary to change.

the kit covers some evolution , there are odd variances to the byushes on some early , the 0 rings seal the short front shaft and are best left alone , they sit in a machined groove in the housing  when you refit the shaft you chop the new seal and its worse than before 

from  memory you may get 2 red and 2 white plastic washers the white go on the gear stick the red on the intermeadiate swivel 

as does the small rubber bush ( not on all) the top hat bushes fit the gear lever pivot 

Pete

Lay the kit out beside where you're intending to work on the gearlever / remote assembly, and match like for like as you remove each part, and do one section at a time. It's very simple, but some, like the plastic bushes, are very similar in size but have slight differences that make sense once you work out where they go. Photographs are a great help.

Another point that may be useful - don't assume that what comes out will be identical to what you're putting back in.  The kits seem to have changed a bit over the years, hopefully for the better.  The middle joint that I recently removed consisted of an outer metal bush, a rubber tube and an inner metal tube, but what went back in were a couple of nylon top hats and an inner metal tube.  Similarly, the thin plastic domed washer has now been replaced by a metal one in Canley's latest kits, which presumably stops the spring pushing up through it.  I've now bought three kits (for different cars!), all from Canley's and they've all been a vast improvement on what was there before.  Grease anything that moves and tighten the nylocs until just before the joints show any sign of stiffness.

More important, don't assume that what you take out was the correct part for the job, like I did!! I wondered why I had so many bits in the iit until I looked at a parts diagram to match everything up. It was something if a shock to find that the professional mechanic who put it together used a handy (wrong size) bolt and two washers to hold to gear stick and linkage together.

13 hours ago, Pbruce9393 said:

Got it all out today. This is all that was there.........only one (almost disintegrated) washer, and no bottom bush at all. 

Now awaiting the arrival of the kit. 

Peter

That has a horribly familiar ring to it. Check the wear at the hole in the base of the stick.

That’s it all back together again & all gears back in action. As you guys predicted, the reverse circlip was the difficult bit, and I had bits left over. The red & white washers did not fit on the gearstick at all, but the hole at the base of the gearstick looked good. 
Thanks again for all your help & advice. 
Peter