Panel Gaps

Martin White

Hi Folks

I am looking at a restored Mk 3 spitfire and noticed (from the pictures) that the gap between the door and rear wing is very slight. How can I tell if this is simply a door seating issue or something more serious? I have seen several pictures of mk 3,s and the gap seems to be different on all of them. I also read on a blog that the lower rear part of the door did in some cases leave the factory standing proud. Any advice gratefully received.

Martin

i would tape measure the other side aperture to compare   your    L to R  dimensions 

door hinges do allow some fore aft up down adjustment

do the gaps to bonnet vary ? side to side , even the bonnet can be moved id the fwd gap is tight 

repairs to sills over the years can end up with uncontrolled door gaps 

no idea where the prud from factory idea comes from  apart from in the day door and panel fits were not like todays standards  and 3mm variance was a good standard back then

pete

On 24/09/2020 at 08:41, Pete Lewis said:

i would tape measure the other side aperture to compare   your    L to R  dimensions 

door hinges do allow some fore aft up down adjustment

do the gaps to bonnet vary ? side to side , even the bonnet can be moved id the fwd gap is tight 

repairs to sills over the years can end up with uncontrolled door gaps 

no idea where the prud from factory idea comes from  apart from in the day door and panel fits were not like todays standards  and 3mm variance was a good standard back then

pete

Thanks you Pete for your advice. Scary stuff buying an old car!!