Spitfire owner killed in blameless crash

JohnD

LED tail lamps  a local member has a MG6 half the LED tail lamp has failed   you need to buy the whole assy only £280  where's the efficiency 

there are some available on a search but when all you needed was a £1 bulb this is more looney improvements which probably 

are cheaper to actually make  as OE    

Pete

1 hour ago, poppyman said:

That looks a very nice Daimler Richard, plenty of style :) 

Thanks Tony, have to say it's a pleasure to own and drive; even more so now all the work is complete. Enter the Saab !!

26 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Is that the "Grant's Hoos" rear windscreen?!!!

That is safely stored in the loft at the moment and will be fitted this summer - you are an absolute champion for collecting that screen on my behalf, Doug. 

Regards to you both.

Richard.

Some of the roundabouts on the Norwich NDR have three lanes, when turning right you are supposed to use the inside lane then cross two other lanes approaching your exit and watch out for others turning left. There have been quite a few accidents, I use indicators and stick my left arm out when driving the Vitesse convertible on them. Apparently the accidents are caused by bad driving not bad design.

Regards

Paul

^  I found one of these roundabouts when I went across to Wales ..ironically soon after completing an Advanced Motorcycling course, although I was driving a car at the time.  Got hit in the rear-left quarter by a car following around to the right.  There was only damage to his front wing (..which was plastic and shattered), so my insurance company couldn't be arsed to dispute it, despite him running into me.. and so it was recorded against my no-claims record. 

I'd highly recommend you keep your arm tucked well in .. it wouldn't fend off a car !

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

Some of the roundabouts on the Norwich NDR have three lanes

Are they concentric? The usual practice on big roundabouts is to have spiral lanes, so that when you join the roundabout you swing across to the lane matching your intended exit - first lane for first exit, second lane for second, etc. - then follow that lane unless your exit is even further round - so if you want the fourth exit on a three lane roundabout, you join at the third lane but hug the centre to cross one lane divider as it spirals out. That arrangement means you should never have to pull across to the left, only ever to the right, and that only when either there's nothing there to hit or you've already had a good look to confirm there's nothing there.

2 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Apparently the accidents are caused by bad driving not bad design.

Our local Tesco has the same idea; there are four lanes all clearly marked and the left-hand lane is divided off by a concrete kerb - it's the only one that turns southbound. All the rest go into the town or north on the dual-carriageway, so anyone in these lanes is turning right only. I've lost count of the number of times I've been following the left lane, to turn left, and met cars cutting across all three lanes from right to left at the last minute. It's not rocket science; each lane says on it in large letters where you're going...

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

Are they concentric?

The one with two exits does the ones with three exits doesn't, you will often see a vehicle or at least tyre tracks on the middle of the roundabout's, and I wish I had the contract to repair/replace the signs on them.

Regards

Paul

1 hour ago, GrahamB said:

Some years when I was approaching Strabane, NI, the car in front missed his turn off so stopped, reversed a couple of yards, then successfully made his exit.  So much easier than completing another circuit!

Over in Southern Ireland they didn't have roundabouts for years, so when they came to one, they just took the closest route. Recently at that same roundabout near Tesco, Banbridge, I met a woman coming round the one way system in the wrong direction; she was going to Macdonalds and just decided it looked like a quicker route. 

I must admit to doing the same in Rugby when I was staying there prior to Stoneleigh Show; I came to a T-junction, saw a petrol station, and turned right down to it. There was one car way in the distance who flashed his lights, but the cashier looked at me very curiously and asked: did you just drive in from that direction? Ok so the 'One Way' sign was very small, on a wall...

Near my daughters in a residential area there’s a 4 way crossroads so there’ve put a small tight roundabout in, as you approach down the main drag the house on the right is built on a bank about 1.5mts high so vision is restricted to the right and as the roundabout is very tight what do the 4x4 cockies do when turning right cut the corner and miss the roundabout but the corners blind nearly been cleaned up a couple of times!

Even the mothers do it in the Toorak tractors (Rangies) with the kids in the car!

• 11 months later...

Just looking at the Google "Satellite" image of the Swindon Magic Roundabout (which I remember well from my three years at Shrivenham) I noticed something rather strange about the imagery and faking the moon landings came to my mind. 

Can anyone else spot what I've spotted ?

image.png

1 hour ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

Hemel's is child's play compared to Swindon's Magic Roundabout. Note that the central ring has traffic passing round it in an anti-clockwise direction!

magic.jpg

Anyone care to name all the cars that are in the picture.

It's obviously been taken during a classic car "parade".

8 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

do the shadows give it away , when i went  to school they al face the same way 

Pete

Not only are there 2 sets of shadows from the fixed objects, there is only one shadow from each vehicle.

In addition, the road markings appear on top of many of the vehicles - my guess is that its two images taken at different times and laid over each other.