Diff gasket, dealing compound?

Johno

Hi all, I've just opened up my diff to replace oil seals and output bearings as one is not silky smooth. The question is should a gasket compound be used for the diff casing and indeed the output flanges. I'm thinking not so far. Anyone got the full sp?

Cheers Johno

the main case split  has gasket 114749 @55p

the output have never show as having a gasket 

I recommend a smear of loctite 574    we did lots of tests for sealer back in the days of production and this stuff is bullet proof

easy to use , and doesnt need a gasket on any hard faces 

not using a gasket on the front/ rear halves will upset the alignment of the short shafts to the diff carrier by the thickness of the gasket 

Pete

Worth mentioning the spec of the oil should be GL4 (unless you do some proper research and find a yellow metal safe GL5 oil)

Moss sell a 85-140 oil that they claim can quieten a diff (with the caveat that it does not mean the diff has been fixed! but a diff with slight noise will stay that way for 1000's of miles) It is a GL5 spec, but clearly states it is yellow metal safe. Other such oils are available elsewhere. However, I have a bottle of this stuff waiting to go in my diff, when I get round to it!

Dynolite No Noise EP 85W-140, 1 litre

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/dynolite-oils/dynolite-gear-oils/dynolite-no-noise-ep-85w-140-1-litre-ggl823310.html