GT6 steering rack issue

I've recently acquired a lovely GT6 Mark 3. One or two issues to sort out the first being really 'vague' steering which I've discovered is due to a faulty rack to column shaft steering knuckle. Haven't had a good look yet but at least one of the securing bolts seems loose and the knuckle looks generally dodgy. Am I correct in thinking this part has been superseded by a UJ? If so, does it fit on without any other adjustments? I'm a newbie so sorry if this sounds a daft question!  Second question is where do you recommend I go to for spares? I've used Rimmer Bros in the past. Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Keith Scotch said:

I've recently acquired a lovely GT6 Mark 3. One or two issues to sort out the first being really 'vague' steering which I've discovered is due to a faulty rack to column shaft steering knuckle. Haven't had a good look yet but at least one of the securing bolts seems loose and the knuckle looks generally dodgy. Am I correct in thinking this part has been superseded by a UJ? If so, does it fit on without any other adjustments? I'm a newbie so sorry if this sounds a daft question!  Second question is where do you recommend I go to for spares? I've used Rimmer Bros in the past. Cheers.

My first port of call had been Canleys . Good prices , fast delivery and they know what they are talking about 

Paul 

the UJ is a straight fit you will have to raise the inner column a bit to pop it in the inner and outer column are collapsible a good pull will raise it

without undoing ant supports and a good shove down will return it . always keep a gap between handwheel and switch cowl or you blow the horn 

on corners 

on both getting to the pinch bolt can be a fiddle as the joint is hidden behind the turret 

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

on both getting to the pinch bolt can be a fiddle as the joint is hidden behind the turret

It's sometimes easier to undo the bottom pinch bolt (the one on the rack) first, then slide the inner column up through the turret to get access to remove and refit the joint to the column, then push it back down through to attach to the rack.

I posted recently about the new steering UJ I bought (some time ago, from one of the above suppliers is my gut feeling) but it was so poor I very much doubt it would pass an MoT and was much worse than teh one I was replacing.

The ONLY triumph supplier I would use for a steering UJ is Chris Witor. His are UK made, and just much better quality. And he is the cheapest supplier of this brand of UJ. 

https://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=145377RM

I can confirm this is the correct part for our cars, I now have one on my spitfire, and also on a friends Herald. Bother were good fit, the only "issue" is making sure you use the correct length pinch bolts. Too long and it can foul the suspension tower.

(FWIW the really naff UJ had just 2 stake marks retaining each UJ cap. Bad batch? who knows. Worth saving £10? probably not)

• 1 month later...
On 01/10/2020 at 22:28, clive said:

The ONLY triumph supplier I would use for a steering UJ is Chris Witor. His are UK made, and just much better quality. And he is the cheapest supplier of this brand of UJ. 

https://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=145377RM

I can confirm this is the correct part for our cars, I now have one on my spitfire, and also on a friends Herald. Bother were good fit, the only "issue" is making sure you use the correct length pinch bolts. Too long and it can foul the suspension tower.

To resurrect this thread I have just fitted the UJ recommended by Clive to my GT6 and it has transformed the steering.  Having replaced the worn, original, knuckle with a UJ from James Paddock there was a slight improvement but after 12 months still not good and I convinced myself the steering rack was to blame.  However, with a second pair of eyes to help, the splines were not gripping on the rack.  The Chris Witor one is physically larger and I used some lower profile nyloc nuts to clear the suspension tower slot.  Note that if you search the Witor web site the UJ is listed under Triumph 2000/2500 but I can confirm it fits a GT6, well mine at least!

Dick 

• Thanks 1

Hi

Now you have me worried?. As part of the PAS "conversion" in the 13/60 rebuild saga. I fitted the U-J courtesy of Rimmer. As yet I have not been able to "road test" as it is still very much a work in progress, but first impressions static test under full "power", where of a very good fit and it hardened up nicely. So maybe the alleged "quality" issues have been addressed?.

Pete

22 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Hi

Now you have me worried?. As part of the PAS "conversion" in the 13/60 rebuild saga. I fitted the U-J courtesy of Rimmer. As yet I have not been able to "road test" as it is still very much a work in progress, but first impressions static test under full "power", where of a very good fit and it hardened up nicely. So maybe the alleged "quality" issues have been addressed?.

Pete

You may or may not be lucky. The first unbranded UJ lasted a total of 25k or so before a little play became irritating. When I swapped to a new one, that play was probably doubled before driving anywhere. It was dreadful, but felt OK in my hand (later checked using a vice and a bar, all was very obvious) The witor item is very good though, and reports from elsewhere suggest it lasts well. That is what happens when a company at least tries to find good quality parts. Most retailers seem to have little regard for quality control in-house, and rely on customer feedback to find out if a batch is poor. Yes, they use a supplier, and quality varies from batch to batch. Its just teh world we live in.

• 8 months later...