Cabin wiring

Rogues

I'm new to all of this so I apologies if this topic has been raised before. My 1971 Mk2 vitesse has never been rewired and I can see a number of modifications undertaken over the years. In the winter I will be removed the dash and all of its accessories so that it can be re-varnished, it seems a good time to renew the cabins wiring. I am considering installing all relays on the electrical equipment in the cabin therefore installing a new relay/fuse box. Has anyone already done this, do you recommend it, are there any downsides in doing it. I would appreciate any comments. Roger

Hello Roger,

I replaced the original fusebox with 2x 12 way modern blade fuse boxes and put relays on everything; it took me weeks. I'm very glad I did it but if I were doing it again I would use something like this, where all the hard work is already done for you https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/cbs-12-circuit-wiring-module.

Adrian

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 01/10/2020 at 15:53, Adrian Cooper said:

Hello Roger,

I replaced the original fusebox with 2x 12 way modern blade fuse boxes and put relays on everything; it took me weeks. I'm very glad I did it but if I were doing it again I would use something like this, where all the hard work is already done for you https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/cbs-12-circuit-wiring-module.

Adrian

HOW!, F*****g Much!. (Yorkshire War Cry).😅 Trip to the "Scrappy" is in order I think?.

• 3 weeks later...

I was worried when I replaced mine but the cost was somewhat cheaper for only a little effort...we won't talk about the worry factor but it was well worth it.

On 13/11/2020 at 17:43, PeteH said:

HOW!, F*****g Much!. (Yorkshire War Cry).😅

...similar war cry with 50/50 Lancashire/Yorkshire blood. I once heard Yorkshire blood described as being similar to Scottish blood, but the Yorkshire stuff had the charity gene removed (apologies to all nationalities mentioned!!!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

...similar war cry with 50/50 Lancashire/Yorkshire blood. I once heard Yorkshire blood described as being similar to Scottish blood, but the Yorkshire stuff had the charity gene removed (apologies to all nationalities mentioned!!!)

Having been born and raised in Derbyshire very close to the Yorkshire border i can say there was no love lost between the 2 sides 😁 Oh, I did live for some time in Yorkshire though 😔

We used to say that A Yorkshire man was the same as a Scot but with all the generosity knocked out of him.

1 hour ago, poppyman said:

It sounds a bit like Colin when he gets a quote for postage :) Can't say i blame him though.....

Tony.

We go to the other extreme.... there's a great saying along the lines of: "sure it's only two wee bits of metal, you could make it yourself"... so rather than incur heavy postage costs, we just either make the thingie or source a local equivalent, which brings to mind another local saying: "Aye, sure that'll do."

• Haha 1

As a Yorkshireman I now know why I baulk at some UK postage costs to Aus but then some are reasonable. I hate eBay generated postage costs min appears to be around 20quid, whereas them in the know can do it for half, don’t get me started on US postage or carriers and delivery I reckon it doubled overnight.

Just sourced locally with free postage a Hi torque starter for 65quid had been looking overseas but postage was a killer.