Seal between windscreen frame and scuttle top - silicone?

Graham Ness

I've been completing repairs to the dash/scuttle top on my Spitfire Mk3 and am shortly to refit the windscreen frame.  A previous owner had used some form of silicone sealant between the scuttle top and the frame seal - which had trapped water and contributed to rusting.  What is the general advice?  I am fitting a new frame to scuttle top seal, but should some additional form of sealant be used between the scuttle top and the frame, or should it be fitted dry?  Similarly between the seal and the windscreen frame itself.  Any wisdom born of experience on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Graham

Triumph originally used a non-setting black mastic, Dum Dum putty or similar. This product from Frost should be suitable:

https://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-flexible-strip-caulk-dum-dum-replacement/?gclid=CjwKCAjwn9v7BRBqEiwAbq1Ey1zRFhnC78CD07JZGD0eKWT1RDP455M9sylG44LGaYvN2StVIG9ibRoCIYUQAvD_BwE

Others will no doubt offer other suggestions. I can't see why silicone wouldn't work, but it's not what Triumph used in production.

Nigel

i would think you need a sealer with some fexibility but not adherance like silicon products hence the use of the Dum Dum as a mastic as the screen surround probably does a good bit of shuffle in use with hood up hoods down 

and body vibrations   the modern skinny sealers would soon break down as you have  just found out 

Pete

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Graham Ness said:

Hi Colin,

that would be wonderful, thanks very much.  Given the relatively small amount I need, a whole pack does seem a bit excessive - since I'll probably not need any ever again..

I'll PM you a postal address.  Thanks again.

Graham

Might not be as good as you'd hope, Graham, the tin's been in my cupboard for over 25 years... even the lid is quite rusty and I'm scared to open it in case the air gets in and ruins what's left, so it may actually be unuseable... the modern stuff I use these days is CS10 Brushable Seam Sealer, you'll find it or a good equivalent in any good Autofactors. 

E96B248E-F080-4F09-B829-6429C48DEC6C_1_105_c.jpg.3f9396b8f69e083a29e666aed376bb9b.jpg