chrome bonnet trim

dave49

has anyone replaced the chrome strip that goes across the front of the bonnet.mine has some dents in and id like to swap it.if anyone knows where i can get the trim from and show me how to replace it i would be very grateful.cheers all dave49 nottingham

I'm assuming late Herald or Vitesse?

Not available new, but they come up online or from breakers like Chic Doig. Part number is 706149. There's one on eBay at present for £20 but it's got a 'couple of dings', so might be worse than your own.

For fitting, try a few small dabs of Tigerseal or any modern trim adhesive. The original metal clips just eat the paint and cause rust.

thanks.i might be thick (it has been mentioned)but what exactly is pu sealer?? ive never heard of it.also im still trying to find out where i can get the trim from.if anyone sees some advertised please let me know.ive googled it but nothing comes up yet.i appreciate the help guys thanks

I might be wrong    im sure i got it from club shop  they list a acrylic putty  ???

just been for a look but its gone , maybe went solid in its tube and ive binned it  . Pass

just to make it worse i was certain i had a clean bonnet trim but thats drawn a blank as well 

I give up 
pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

I might be wrong    im sure i got it from club shop  they list a acrylic putty  ???

just been for a look but its gone , maybe went solid in its tube and ive binned it  . Pass

just to make it worse i was certain i had a clean bonnet trim but thats drawn a blank as well 

I give up 
pete

cheers pete

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2020 at 15:28, martyn wright said:

Hi!  Try Dave at "Canley Classics" email or phone , as they Sell Second hand as well as new!  or "Spitfire graveyard" is another source!  On the "Club Parts for sale" Sam Shattock" is breaking some Vitesses/Heralds?

Cheers Martyn

Hi.I managed to get one from sam.just gotta work our how to remove it.thanks

1 hour ago, dave49 said:

Hi.I managed to get one from sam.just gotta work our how to remove it.thanks

If you don't want to keep it, grab one end and pull. If you do, prise off very very carefully an inch or so at a time. Sometimes they bend very easily, and just when you think you're free and clear.

Just now, dave49 said:

cheers colin i dont want to keep it as its dented,I presume the new one is fitted in reverse.start one end and press on.

Dry fit it first, with no mastic or sealant, just to see how closely it matches the contour of the bonnet especially at the outer corners. If you're happy that it requires no fettling I'd maybe even start at the centre; mark the centre of the bonnet, mark the centre of the trim, line up and work outwards.