TR Spares Development Fund - Website launch

TR5tar

Hello all, 

I hope everyone here is keeping well. 

As some here will already know, there’s an organisation called the “TR SDF”, which helps keep Triumph TRs and derivatives such as Italia, Peerless, and Swallow Doretti on the road by funding projects to remanufacture unavailable parts for these cars. It’s a non-trading, not for profit organisation. Last Friday, the TR SDF launched its website and Facebook group. The TR SDF aims to serve the entire TR community (regardless of country, TR model, or club affiliation) and works independently of any other organisation.

If you’d like to find out more, please visit www.trsdf.uk

And if you are on FB, please see ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/481394215834908 

Best wishes, 

Darren

• Like 1

Thanks Colin. Although the TR SDF has only just launched its website and is now being more active in telling people about what it does, the organisation has been around for many decades in one form or another.  It really is just a group of volunteers and supporters that work together to keep the cars on the road. Although we are concerned about the parts out there that are not as good quality as we would like, our main focus is on parts that are not available at all. You can read about the projects we have undertaken to date at:   https://trsdf.uk/projects

Best wishes, 

Darren 

I know what the replies will be but, wouldn't it be wonderful for the club to commission a run of parts (rubbers especially) to a specific standard. More expensive, yes, but like club silicone hoses they would be trustworthy and the source/spec/standard would be known. They could even bear a TSSC approved quality part sticker. Special parts could be 3d printed (short run) by a club approved supplier to club spec.

We have all complained about the standard of modern parts and the lack of knowing where they were made and whether the usual suppliers are buying the same duff products from the same sources. Don't buy cheap off fleabay I read in other sites but, is the cheap off fleabay exactly the same product as expensive from the recognised suppliers, even the current club stocks (no dis-respect to the shop implied) are probably sourced from the same places. I dream yes, but sometime dreams do come true.

I'm with you on that, but sometimes the best laid plans etc... I myself have in the past had parts made in quantity, enough for my purposes and two or three sets over (sometimes more) following keen enquiries from other owners, but found when the parts were finished that they all disappeared back into the woodwork without purchasing any, or else complained about the cost. It seems some people want bespoke items at mass-produced prices. The larger manufacturers have the power to make quantities at a relatively cheap price, but sometimes we're very far down the priority list, even when it comes to numerous complaints regarding existing sub-standard parts, and they just won't take the risk.

• Like 1

Hello Colin, 

In answer to your question about the TR SDF Facebook page ... it is open to all (members and non members of the TR SDF alike). Please feel free to join, as it's a great way of following our projects. 

On your other point about doing something similar for Herald / Vitesse, I think that's a great idea. I'd like to see something like the TR SDF for all classic makes and models, anything to keep these wonderful cars on the road.  We have been lucky in the TR SDF to have some extremely knowledgeable people give up their time to run things, all on a volunteer basis. It's also received great support from the TR community over the years. Everyone involved does it for no other reason than their passion for the cars. 

Hello Badwolf, 

I cannot speak for the TSSC, but in my experience many clubs shy away from getting involved in the sort of ventures that the TR SDF undertakes. As an organisation, we are unusual I think, because we have no interest in being a business, we simply help firms manufacture parts that are unavailable (by funding tooling/patterns, by lending original parts, etc.). Quality is a separate issue for the TR SDF. We in no way compete with the suppliers out there, as we would rather work with them to improve things. Alongside the TR SDF, there's also the Parts Quality Initiative. If it's found that a part is problematic, the PQI might investigate and work with suppliers to help improve it. 

Best wishes, 

Darren   

Good of Darren to highlight the TR Spares Development Fund, the site gives a good insight into some of the positive work that has been done, probably worth highlighting that it is (I understand) now a separate entity from the TR Register itself although their history is intertwined. 

The quality of parts is a common theme across all classic marques, most suppliers will want to hear if they have provided something which is not fit for purpose, but you do also hear of some organisations who tend to turn a deaf ear when it comes to low-value items which - perhaps understandably from a business perspective - are felt to be consumable items, the rate of consumptions just being faster these days!

SOCTFL has worked well within the Stag world for a considerable time and managed to retain its connection to the SOC, it actually covers both availability and quality - if it has the tick you have confidence in the product and the fund would have provided the grant (or is it a loan?) to ensure critical items remain available to owners.

All variations of that fundamental principle to provide decent stuff to keep our wheels turning :)

....... Andy 

Yes, as Andy says, the TR SDF is a totally independent entity. To a great extent it always has been, as it had its own funds and own management. Its link with the Register was that it was set up by Register members and to begin with only Register members could support it by putting money in. In those early days, there was some benefit in terms of discounted parts, but that situation didn't continue. For many years now, parts that have been produced with TR SDF funding have been available to all at the same prices. As time went on, the ethos of the organisation became very much about helping the entire TR community, which is one of the reasons why when the fund reopens any TR owner who wishes to contribute can do so. Many people over the years have misunderstood what the fund is about, as contributors do not get discount parts or special favours by being a part of it. In fact, there's often no obvious, direct benefit at all. What contributors do get is a sense of doing something for the common good of the TR community. 

Best wishes, 

Darren    

15 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm with you on that, but sometimes the best laid plans etc... I myself have in the past had parts made in quantity, enough for my purposes and two or three sets over (sometimes more) following keen enquiries from other owners, but found when the parts were finished that they all disappeared back into the woodwork without purchasing any, or else complained about the cost.

Know the feeling, some years ago decided to have some stainless Vitesse/Herald counterbalance springs made. The cost for ten was not a great deal more than the four I wanted I still have the extras as I refuse to sell them for less than the manufacturing cost.

It was put to me this way, four cost two hundred pounds, one hundred ponds a set, ten cost three hundred pounds therefore the extra six cost one hundred pounds and I should sell them at thirty three ponds a set.

My reply was I would keep the thirty three pound ones and sell the hundred pound ones, prices selected for ease of demonstrating.

Regards

Paul

16018942745141741513922.jpg

I have a pair of those, no idea who I bought them from but it was around the early 2000s. They're destined for my 1200 convertible, when it gets that far.

I've chipped in, in the past, when someone was getting a batch of items made - if they get so many potential buyers then they can commission a batch, that sort of thing. Total reached, orders in and batch made, then for some reason a lot of the interested parties are never heard from again...

4 hours ago, TR5tar said:

Yes, as Andy says, the TR SDF is a totally independent entity. To a great extent it always has been, as it had its own funds and own management. Its link with the Register was that it was set up by Register members and to begin with only Register members could support it by putting money in. In those early days, there was some benefit in terms of discounted parts, but that situation didn't continue. For many years now, parts that have been produced with TR SDF funding have been available to all at the same prices. As time went on, the ethos of the organisation became very much about helping the entire TR community, which is one of the reasons why when the fund reopens any TR owner who wishes to contribute can do so. Many people over the years have misunderstood what the fund is about, as contributors do not get discount parts or special favours by being a part of it. In fact, there's often no obvious, direct benefit at all. What contributors do get is a sense of doing something for the common good of the TR community. 

Best wishes, 

Darren    

Hi Darren,

thanks for adding some of the additional colour - just helps folk appreciate the big-picture :) 

...... Andy 

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Andy,

the TR SDF do not monitor or react to quality. They support the cars when there is no alternative.

For quality issues there is another system in place.

Roger 

Hi Roger, 

thanks, yes, I was aware that the quality question was not monitored by the TR Spares Devlopment Fund - my comment was simply a general observation that the desire for decent quality parts transcends all models/marques :) 

...... Andy