Modern door skins

ahebron

Today I walked into a garage to see the mechanic working on a late model VW door.
What caught my attention was the outer skin had been unbolted to enable access into the door leaving a fully functioning door still bolted to the car, even the side intrusion bars could be unbolted.
 It reminded me of those medical dummies that have no skin exposing all the gubbins that keep us functioning.

What a fantastic idea and a shame that Triumph didnt invent this back in the 1950s. 

Adrian

I need to replace a door lock on a Freelander and this involves stripping the door down, from the inside, and removing the door glass to gain access. The lock is about the first thing fitted to a door then all is built in over and around it. If only THAT was as simple as a Herald... :)

Oh Dear,

I'm now itching to modify my TR door skins.  It could be done.

Cut the door chassis at the flange with the skin so that the flange stays with the skin

On the detached skin, weld on a new flange assembly protruding from the door skin - this slides onto the door chassis. 

Drill and locate a good number of rivnuts into the door chassis to hold the door skin.

There is certainly room to play with 

Roger

• Haha 1

some years ago  i repaired a friends  Skoda fabia   which the drop glass had devoured a parking ticket and scambled the glass pull cords and broken one 

drill off the inner case rivets ,remove the whole assy,   re wired with push bike brake inner cables 

added rive nuts to the carcass and bolted it all back , saved about £300 for a replacement load of VW rubbish 

the trouble is percived quality has ££s  added to simple tasks 

Pete

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

some years ago  i repaired a friends  Skoda fabia   which the drop glass had devoured a parking ticket and scambled the glass pull cords and broken one 

drill off the inner case rivets ,remove the whole assy,   re wired with push bike brake inner cables 

added rive nuts to the carcass and bolted it all back , saved about £300 for a replacement load of VW rubbish 

the trouble is percived quality has ££s  added to simple tasks 

Pete

VAT Volkswagen Added Tax

11 hours ago, RogerH said:

Oh Dear,

I'm now itching to modify my TR door skins.  It could be done.

Cut the door chassis at the flange with the skin so that the flange stays with the skin

On the detached skin, weld on a new flange assembly protruding from the door skin - this slides onto the door chassis. 

Drill and locate a good number of rivnuts into the door chassis to hold the door skin.

There is certainly room to play with 

Roger

I would imagine the issue would be that once the skin is removed from a Triumph door it would a bit floppy. You would need to introduce bracing which could work as impact bars and also reverse gear in the door so it is accessible from then outside not inside.

Yes I have thought about it myself after seeing the VW door.

Adrian

I believe the 80's GM Pontiac Fiero, a 2 door sports coupe had composite body panels and the composite (plastic) door skins were bolted on, easily removed for internal repairs and cheap to replace if damaged.

I looked at buying one in the late 80's but couldn't accept the heavy 4 potter cast iron lump in the rear! Some I believe had a V6 engine, the engine/transmission was a mid rear location, for a yank tank looked good.

Fiero88.jpg