Your worst value for money car part....? (or am I the biggest mug on this forum...)

rulloyd

As many of us strive to make our cars as good as possible, we have probably all gritted our teeth and bought something for far more money than it's obvious material cost justifies, putting aside the cost incurred by manuafturing low qualities of rare products.

Having just bought 2 courtesy light switches for £29 (inc postage) I thought it may be interesting to hear your examples.

The courtesy switches aren't my worst investment.   I bought this little bit of rubber from Spitsbits in the US - the only place that seems to have it.

16c) HEATER DRAIN FLAP MK1-MK3 GT6

Some may recognise it as the little flap (about 2" sq) that covers the drain hole on the heater air inlet on the bulkhead on some of our cars.  $12 for the item - I thought that was a rip off but wait for it...$19 shipping!!!   Total $31 😭😭.   Spitsbits don't actually quote the international shipping until after you've paid for the part - they add it afterwards - be warned!!!

I fully accept the title "Mug".

Rich

10 minutes ago, rulloyd said:

$12 for the item - I thought that was a rip off but wait for it...$19 shipping!!!   Total $31 😭😭.   Spitsbits don't actually quote the international shipping until after you've paid for the part - they add it afterwards - be warned!!!

I fully accept the title "Mug".

Rich

I wonder what they would have charged Colin for shipping........

Tony.

Bought some drilled and grooved "go faster" brake disks, £££! They worked OK, but didn't make any difference to braking efficiency and nobody tells you beforehand, they are NOISEY!!! Couldn't be doing with that! So moved them on.

Doug

8 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Bought some drilled and grooved "go faster" brake disks, £££! They worked OK, but didn't make any difference to braking efficiency and nobody tells you beforehand, they are NOISEY!!! Couldn't be doing with that! So moved them on.

Doug

And they wear out fast.

Nigel

1 hour ago, martyn wright said:

Hi!  Sorry I paid £12 from Rimmer for the same part?  Pt no 616206  and I thought that was expensive!

I hate you.  In my defence, I naively thought the shipping charge from the states was $1 - which is what they showed on the order summary - being so small I assumed they'd stick it in an envelope with a $1 stamp,  D'oh, I know, I'm an idiot!! (no more comments on my stupidity please).

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

it all starts with buying  a car in the first place its downhill from then on.

Pete

Then there are those that don't learn by their 'mistake' and buy a second or third or even fourth car.

No help for them we just need to smile at them and keep them away from the public

8 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Then there are those that don't learn by their 'mistake' and buy a second or third or even fourth car.

No help for them we just need to smile at them and keep them away from the public

They might even get married............

Tony.

3 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Yep, that will be me then... In my defence, I need my little classic fleet for my work with Practical Classics. Think I'm still getting away with this excuse at home!

Five classics now, should stop really, though there's enough space for another!

Nigel

Colin you could have brought a shanked bolt and cut it to length, but that would have only been available from a bolt bar shop/factors and they would have had a min order cost of $10. So the upshot is you can't win!!

My wife wants to know why I have so many nuts and bolts it's because I always make the order to more than $10 by buying more than I need!

10 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Colin you could have brought a shanked bolt and cut it to length, but that would have only been available from a bolt bar shop/factors and they would have had a min order cost of $10. So the upshot is you can't win!!

My wife wants to know why I have so many nuts and bolts it's because I always make the order to more than $10 by buying more than I need!

Peter,those bolts are shouldered, not just a shank. The very early joints used those re-usable wired ones, later they "staked" the bolt ends meaning they are more or less impossible to re-use. A shame, as the steering joint can be effectively/reliably reconditioned using poly bushes from Witor. Costs more than a repro joint, but will last for many many years, probably as many years as the repro one will last weeks.

15 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

it all starts with buying  a car in the first place its downhill from then on.

Yes,

When I bought my GT in 1978, unknown to the novice me, it had a broken rear leaf spring, knackered front springs and a knackered engine which needed a re-bore and re-grind.

Then a trunnion gave way due to lack of maintenance and the front suspension collapsed.

And then................

Doug

55 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yes,

When I bought my GT in 1978, unknown to the novice me, it had a broken rear leaf spring, knackered front springs and a knackered engine which needed a re-bore and re-grind.

Then a trunnion gave way due to lack of maintenance and the front suspension collapsed.

And then................

Doug

From the sound of it you got of lightly, l have ended up with three Mk1 2L Vitesse convertibles only one of which is roadworthy and one of the others occupies several sheds.

Regards

Paul

13 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

I'm currently reconditioning one of the old couplings, have bought polybushes but thought I'd check on the availability of the bolts too - some of them were hard to release. I'll reuse the old ones, they're perfectly serviceable. Especially at that price...

Here's another rip-off postage item:

postage.png.6037074285f4f694685baa86b45413da.png

3 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm currently reconditioning one of the old couplings, have bought polybushes but thought I'd check on the availability of the bolts too - some of them were hard to release. I'll reuse the old ones, they're perfectly serviceable. Especially at that price...

They are out to get you Colin........ :) Your money anyway.

Tony.

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Is that from the UK? Seems an odd P+P price. Or is it the NI postage tax?

14 minutes ago, clive said:

Is that from the UK? Seems an odd P+P price. Or is it the NI postage tax?

Northern Ireland is still UK postage rates, but some of the suppliers - one very large supplier in particular - insists on International Air Mail, which is the reason why he doesn't get my trade any more. 'Computer says' - so that's it. I've become very sneaky sometimes; I bought a remanufactured Herald 1200 rear valence online which stated free UK postage, and it was sent to me with no bother, but when I bought a 1200 front valence from the same supplier, I thought I'd better check - and they charged me £25 extra for carriage simply because I phoned and gave them the opportunity. My mistake!

There's absolutely no reason for it: here's a perfect example I found this morning - ONE sparkplug for £4.99 but a whopping £19.95 postage, whilst I can buy a complete set of four for £7.89 with free postage from another UK seller.

1843463768_ScreenShot2020-10-09at13_06_59.jpg.464257ed1fed8441273da710cc74a7cb.jpg

2032345857_ScreenShot2020-10-09at13_07_48.jpg.01ed5cac45b53a48e878b9644f7bc4a7.jpg

I sent to Aldon in the USA for a spare part for my electronic ignition (When I took the head off something caught on the EI and pulled a wire off flush with the sensor (IDIOT!!! :angry: :wub:)) 

The postage was reasonable, but no one told me there was import duty!!!! Might as well have bought a complete new EI.

Doug