Hood & Tonneau cover for Triumph Spitfire 1500

Black Cat

Hi,

I need to fit new studs to fit the soft top and a tonneau on the doors and along the back edge of the car. Looked at the ones Moss supply and they are plastic, previously mine were steel ones. Anybody know what size they should be and what size pop rivet I should be using and where to get them from.  Looking for stainless steel unless I'm told different. 

I have the old soft top with the socket parts already fitted so they will need to match.

Many thanks

Later cars have both studs and poppers in plastic. All earlier cars use steel. And should be easy to find. All the suppliers should be able to help, it used to be the plastic ones that were trickier to find.

(don't ask me the changeover date, but they do get swapped about on cars)

3 hours ago, Black Cat said:

I need to fit new studs to fit the soft top and a tonneau on the do Looking for stainless steel unless I'm told different. 

Search for stainless steel snap fasteners, used in boats and the like so you can get marine grade.

I've only seen one size listed which is 15mm, and they all seem to be sold in full sets so am I right in guessing they're a standard size?

Thanks gents, now have another problem. there are a couple of small tears on the seams of my soft top where the door windows meets the right angle of the hood above the B post and also looking to replace the windows at the same time, went to a local car upholster in Ipswich and they said they no longer undertake repairs to car hoods and the only other local company which did this work is not taking on any further work as he is retiring.

Looked on line to see what the price of a new hood would cost me and came across Donhoods in Birmingham and there prices were very reasonable, the cheaper ones may well be the same cost as having mine repaired but will possible go for a premium quality one.

Has anyone had any experience of this company and what is the quality of their product and workmanship like?

Lastly, need to refurbish the frame, take it apart and paint it prior to fitting the hood. How do you get those round nuts off the frame, is there a special tool or do you just use mole grips as mind are stuck fast?

Many thanks.

Don Hoods are good, probably the best available? Think they supply the TSSC shop 

I have fitted one to our mk3 spit, very pleased. Ifanything, a fraction (and only a fraction) too much material around the back. Which is the opposite I have had with a couple of previous hoods from other sources that were just a bit too small. (I know my preference!) 

Iwill be buying a new hood for my mkIV spit sometime soon, and it will be from Don Hoods... 

Re frames, I would hesitate to completely dismantle. I tried years ago and regretted it. Now I just get every joint oiled, moving freely, spray with brake cleaner to remove the oil/crud, repeat a couple of times, then a drop of oil on each joint to finish, makes a big difference to the mechanism. Then you can repaint it as one. That would be my preference. 

1 hour ago, clive said:

Re frames, I would hesitate to completely dismantle. I tried years ago and regretted it. Now I just get every joint oiled, moving freely, spray with brake cleaner to remove the oil/crud, repeat a couple of times, then a drop of oil on each joint to finish, makes a big difference to the mechanism. Then you can repaint it as one. That would be my preference. 

I'd agree, unless you know where everything goes when it comes time to replace it. Thankfully I have two Herald hood frames so could use one for reference, but even then I'd be very wary. Replace one bit at a time, certainly, but I'd make lots of notes and take plenty of photos before going any further as reassembly can be confusing once the paint has taken a few days to dry and the parts don't make any sense. Been there!