Spitfire Mk3 Hardtop weight

PeterH

Does anyone know how heavy a Spitfire Mk3 Triumph metal hardtop is? Mine is somewhat buried at the back of the garage and I've been wondering about suspending it from the garage ceiling. I might actually get round to fitting it if it was more accessible.

I hung an entire Herald Estate roof from the ceiling in my last garage; four large screw-in hooks, and blue nylon cord. It lasted more than a few years so once up, it stayed up! I didn't risk pulling it up into place so had a mate hold it tight to the rafters then tied the ropes in place. It was cushioned with a few of those foam pipe covers, you know the tubes for frost protection, across the top where it was close to the rafters and on the edges where the ropes were.

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

i got a electric wich ... bit like this 

1926945_1.jpg

That looks rather beefier than the one I have for winching my Spitfire Mk3 hardtop up to the rafters. I don't have ready access to any of my photos just now to illustrate the system I built - probably rather over-engineered - of a cradle for the hardtop permanently attached to the winch ropes. The idea is you drive the car in under it, lower the cradle onto the hardtop, clip it on, then winch the hardtop up. I've not actually tried the reverse operation yet - perhaps I should. 🤔

one of our members here in Vic has a Stag and he has a business installing hospital patient lifting hoists over each bed, ie anchoring into the ceiling structure and having forward/back and left/right traversing.

Obviously he has acquired one of these well engineered units and used it with it's rails to install and remove his Stags roof. One advantage is he doesn't have to park the Stag in exactly the same spot every time as the winch can traverse.

I'll dig my hartop out and weigh it. It also needs a bit of work i.e. new headlining. If the canoe device is suitable I'll install it above the car so the top can be lowered straight down. I will have to move a strip light that's on the ceiling, but nothing is ever straight forward.

The hard top is against the back wall with a sawbench and router table in front plus sundry other bits of junk. Nice job if we get locked down again !

This is the one I'm looking at (£26.00)

• Hooks are designed with a rubber coating to protect from scratches
  • Easy to install and easy to use
  • ROBUST ENGINEERING - New improved STRAPS eliminate the fragile hooks that plague cheaper hoists, and allow you to lift heavy products, up to 125lb. Capacity. This is the kayak hoist that all the other are trying to copy.
  • For Ceilings up to 12ft.
  • Safe locking mechanism prevents accidental release

41pFTovsSBL._AC_.jpg

11 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

PeterH - That is just what I was thinking about for mine (if I ever get it finished). Do you have a link for that particular model. I was thinking about an old fashioned laundry rack, but the fittings on those are very poor.

Just remember two things: what it's supporting, and who might be walking under it. (Or what you might have parked under it, too!)

Then ask yourself if you really want the cheapest? :)

15 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

PeterH - That is just what I was thinking about for mine (if I ever get it finished). Do you have a link for that particular model. I was thinking about an old fashioned laundry rack, but the fittings on those are very poor.

The link for the canoe storage lift

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sportz-Kayak-Hoist-Quality-Capacity/dp/B001EUL2DO/ref=pd_ybh_a_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CV8EBGKGQY76C3VTAJ09