In search of a Spitfire MK3 or earlier

Noah

Hi all,

My first car when I was 18 was a Spitfire MK4. I have regretted selling it ever since. Now my son is 9, I have been given permission by my wife to buy another, for us both to have fun in. I recently fell in love with the earlier ones (1970 or pre). So I was wondering whether folk thought I might be pushing it, finding one that requires little work for a budget of £5000, or should I keep dreaming! I live in th3e Bedford area. Any advice very welcome. Thanks.

That rather depends on your definition of "requires little work". If you mean it's a runner and basically solid but you're OK with learning a bit of mechanicing and/or body fettling on it, then you have a reasonable chance. If you're expecting near showroom condition and only needs regular servicing, then keep dreaming.

• Thanks 1

NonMember above has summed up early Spitfire values.

I have an early Spit Mk3, a solid car bought as a project last year, but I've got too many projects right now, so it needs a new home. It's got a solid body, is mechanically sound and drives very well, with much work done recently. Given fresh paint, it would be excellent.

Please let me know if you would like more info, and I can send photos plus more details.

Nigel

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...