Gaz adjustable shocks

Afternoon all.

Has anyone had any problem with Gaz Shocks ?

Reason I ask, is because I am !

Having recently fitted the Rimmer CV Driveshaft conversion to my Vit MK2, I also replaced the previously fitted rear shocks (which were technically slightly too long) with the bespoke Club GAZ shocks, suitable for Rotoflex with the top bracket conversion kit. The GAZ shocks have only done about 150 miles and the l/h one has started 'knocking' and crashing over the slightest bump. I'd set them at the minimum setting. At first I didn't believe the problem was the shocker, so checked and double checked everything in the suspension on that side. All the bushes have been checked and replaced as necessary and the spring/fixings checked. Trying to recreate the fault - bouncing up and down on the rear wing - with the car on ramps proved fruitless. I couldn't exert enough force. Today, as a last resort - I put the previously fitted shock back on and went for a test drive. The fault has gone and has not reappeared. So, the problem is definitely in the GAZ shock. It feels ok mounted in the bench vice and exersised. Any thoughts, before I contact GAZ ?

Gav

Hello Gav,

I swapped over to the shock system on my Mk2 about 5yrs ago along with adjustable GAZ shocks - never had an issue. 

Shortly after, I did the Nick Jones CV conversion and again no issues with the shocks, other then having to adjust them to position number 2 for better handling / comfort.

It certainly sounds as though the shock may be at fault and it can be difficult to replicate the shock action when not fitted to the car. I have always found GAZ very helpful and I am sure they will be interested in your situation.

It may be the case you need to go via Rimmers to arrange a replacement shock or ideally the pair - if your conversion purchase is recent.

On an aside, I had a set of adjustable SPAX shocks for another classic which I thought were working perfectly. Off the car I extended the shocks and left them overnight, next morning one of them had collapsed to the minimum height, albeit when exercised they both worked perfectly. Took them to SPAX and they confirmed that there was a defect on the one that collapsed which could not have otherwise been identified by being on the car. A situation similar to your own case. 

Regards.

Richard.

I've got Classic Driving Development CV joints on my Rotoflex GT6 Mk3, with Gaz shocks from the Club Shop. No problems, although the shocks are hard so I run them at position 2 on the adjusters.

The shocks are mounted to the original top fixings in the wheel arches. I'm considering switching to chassis mounting.

Nigel

George, it is obvious as any more than about the 5th click the shocks go solid. Have a feel opening/closing them off the car. But yes, 2 clicks from minimum. If you have harder front springs (as in 350lb or more) you may want another click.

But the design is pretty poor. I can't remember how many "clicks"there are but only the first 4 are usable. Unless the ones I have seen/tried are unusual.

Richard, your comments are very interesting, particularly regarding the Spax failure. I purchased the shocks thorough the Club in 2017 and due to a house move only got round to fitting them in the spring this year. So they've only done about 300 miles ! The chassis brackets have been fitted for years, complete with Koni dampers, that I discovered much later were slightly too long, so I thought I'd change them for the correct fitted length items. As you know Koni don't make a 'correct' length item for the Vit Mk2 . Even though the Koni's are not exactly right, (Vit 2L Mk 1), I liked the compliant ride they give and never really had any obvious problems with them bottoming out.

Nigel, Clive, Paul,

I agree, the Gaz shocks seem very hard at anything over setting 2. I had mine set to 1.  Although the shocks are technically out of warranty now - (2 years), I'd like to think that Gaz will be willing to sort it FOC - I still have the original box and receipt !

Thanks everyone

Gav

Hello Gav,

Along with Clive and another friend, we are in the process of doing a front suspension overhaul on my Vitesse. The standard shocks are being replaced with  GAZ adjustable. Over a cup of tea we had a look at the shocks and the seating ring to hold the bottom of the spring in situ - we spotted that the seating ring was in fact too narrow for my standard springs. Phoned GAZ, explained the situation and they sent out the correct size via 1st class RM which arrived the following day.

I said that I had not purchased the shocks from them, but they were fine about that and were more than happy to help out. I even offered to send the incorrect spring bases back to GAZ as a gesture. Keep them they said !!

Hopefully their excellent customer service will be reflected with your situation. There is hope !!!

Good luck.

Richard.  

45 minutes ago, trigolf said:

Richard, your comments are very interesting, particularly regarding the Spax failure. I purchased the shocks thorough the Club in 2017 and due to a house move only got round to fitting them in the spring this year. So they've only done about 300 miles ! The chassis brackets have been fitted for years, complete with Koni dampers, that I discovered much later were slightly too long, so I thought I'd change them for the correct fitted length items. As you know Koni don't make a 'correct' length item for the Vit Mk2 . Even though the Koni's are not exactly right, (Vit 2L Mk 1), I liked the compliant ride they give and never really had any obvious problems with them bottoming out.

Nigel, Clive, Paul,

I agree, the Gaz shocks seem very hard at anything over setting 2. I had mine set to 1.  Although the shocks are technically out of warranty now - (2 years), I'd like to think that Gaz will be willing to sort it FOC - I still have the original box and receipt !

Thanks everyone

Gav

You can use the Koni's and just use the std chassis mounting point, the extensions are no longer needed with CV shafts.

That is what I am using on my spitfire (rotoflex CV's, Koni onto std chassis point) and find it superb, despite the shocks now being 25 years old and approaching 100K miles. (they cost me £80 a pair at Stafford when I was building my vitesse, not looking forward to buying replacements if/when required)

Hi Clive,

I think I'm right in saying that a tele shock will foul the lever arm damper mounting brackets on the Mk 2 Vit, if you tried to fit them to the original Vit mk 1 chassis point?

So you have to use the chassis extn brackets, which then alters the fitted length ?

Gav

21 minutes ago, trigolf said:

Hi Clive,

I think I'm right in saying that a tele shock will foul the lever arm damper mounting brackets on the Mk 2 Vit, if you tried to fit them to the original Vit mk 1 chassis point?

So you have to use the chassis extn brackets, which then alters the fitted length ?

Gav

The telescopic shocks foul the Rotoflex couplings of bolted direct to the original chassis mounting points. Same on GT6 Mk2& 3.

Nigel

1 hour ago, trigolf said:

Hi Clive,

Gav

I don't think so. Richard (Classiclife above) has MK2 vitesse with CVs and gaz shocks on the std chassis points.

Those Rotoflex donuts caused so many issues, why they didn't use CVs in the first pace only the beancounters will know.

13 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Reduced noise and vibration, greater angle of operation and no need for lubrication. According to the advert, anyway...

Same effect as CV's then, without a PITA replacement procedure, and them getting in the way of everything. And CV's cost more. But as the FWD triumphs used a  CV it seems nuts. Though I suppose they had no choice there, the rubber would not bend enough and give very springy steering.

I think, as with all car manufacturers, that it was cost effective (read: cheap), worked perfectly well for the day, and wasn't expected to last forty or fifty years; or at the very least they may have expected Rotoflex to still have adequate stocks of doughnuts. I don't think there's a manufacturer on the planet at present who is planning for 2070... ( as in having spares for 2020 vehicles!) :)

Manufacturers are so reluctant to maintain spares for obsolete vehicles (that you would otherwise have to replace with a new one, which they'd be happy to supply) that the legislators had to enforce a minimum 5 year (or 10 for some parts) spare parts supply after end of production. I'm sure good quality Rotoflex donuts were readily available in 1982.

4 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Manufacturers are so reluctant to maintain spares for obsolete vehicles (that you would otherwise have to replace with a new one, which they'd be happy to supply) that the legislators had to enforce a minimum 5 year (or 10 for some parts) spare parts supply after end of production. I'm sure good quality Rotoflex donuts were readily available in 1982.

I don't want to make everybody feel old, but that's 40 years ago!! Even the cars I had then - Daihatsu Charade and Mini - are long gone.. :)

22 hours ago, clive said:

I don't think so. Richard (Classiclife above) has MK2 vitesse with CVs and gaz shocks on the std chassis points.

Richard

I'm very interested in what Clive says about fitment to the original Vit Mk 1 chassis fixing points, as still there, on my Vit mk 2 chassis. I have the Classic Driving Developments CV drive shafts fitted. I'm assuming you didn't cut off the lever arm shock mount brackets to achieve this ?

Gav

57 minutes ago, trigolf said:

Richard

I'm very interested in what Clive says about fitment to the original Vit Mk 1 chassis fixing points, as still there, on my Vit mk 2 chassis. I have the Classic Driving Developments CV drive shafts fitted. I'm assuming you didn't cut off the lever arm shock mount brackets to achieve this ?

Gav

Nope. They act as a very convenient axle stand support.

• 4 months later...

As per my other thread answer:

The GAZ adjustable settings have been covered via other threads, but basically position 2 or 3 absolute max is sufficient for the rear, why they have about 15x positions I do not know.  

Try P2 and see how you get on; if you are already on that then you are going to struggle if P1 does not work being your last choice.

Regards.

Richard.