Spitfire Mk3 Hardtop Rear Glass Seal

krissto2015

Hello,

Does anyone have a used or new/old stock rear glass rubber seal to suit an early Mk1-3 Spitfire Hardtop.  This seal is NLA from any of the Triumph stockists (part number 903599) and it does not look hopeful for it to be available anytime soon (I have asked).  So I am rather stuck...

Many Thanks,

Chris

I thought I'd found one but out of stock:  https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/hardtop-rear-window-seal-mk1-111-2

Bill at Rarebits made a batch of these some years back, but I've no idea if he's got any left... you could try to contact him via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rarebits4classics or maybe someone else has current contact details?

I've been told that a GT6 rear hatch window seal is a very close profile?

Hello Colin,

According to Rimmer Bros, Rarebits is where they used to get 903599 part but he no longer supplies.  Although it has been suggested that the GT6 rear hatch seal is suitable, it is not.  I bought one for that very reason, but yesterday, Mobile Windscreens and myself struggled for a couple of hours to get it to fit and we failed.  It's not quite the correct section...

Chris

A quick update in this topic.  I have communicated with Bill at rarebits4classics and got a bit of history regarding rear seal part 903599.  I am sure that he will not mind me summarising (I hope correctly) what he stated.  Yes, he did supply this seal up until 2016, but stopped doing so due to problems.  Apparently, the hardtop glass could have two different sizes, one 'taller' than the other, I think due to differences with OE and Triplex alternatives.  So despite Triumph quoting just one part number of seal for all glass, some combinations would fit into the hardtop aperture and others would not.  So Bill stopped making that seal.  He very kindly advised me that a Herald front rubber seal is so very close to the OE rubber profile that this will do the trick.  I have ordered a new Herald seal and will post an update if this works out.  If so, this thread will be copied/moved to the technical section so as to help others...

Chris 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2020 at 19:40, krissto2015 said:

He very kindly advised me that a Herald front rubber seal is so very close to the OE rubber profile that this will do the trick.  I have ordered a new Herald seal and will post an update if this works out.

Have you been able to check this yet?   I will have the same problem with my hardtop.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/11/2020 at 08:11, PeterH said:

Have you been able to check this yet?   I will have the same problem with my hardtop.

Peter

Hello Peter,

The Herald seal and rear glass is now fitted to my hardtop.  It's not perfect but will suffice for the short term  I'll upload some photos when I get a chance...

Chris

• Like 1

• 1 year later...