GT6 MK 3 windscreen seal & trim - how?

Adrian Saunders

Hello everyone. Just come to fit the bright trim (plastic not ss) into the screen seal on my 6 and it doesn’t look right. The seal looks different to others on this forum and I can’t imagine how the trim fits in, and stays in. Canley Classics seal and Rimmer bros bright trim. All suggestions and help will be most appreciated. 

A1182885-7607-4F2A-82E7-595785B2C945.jpeg

EC2391B8-0BF6-48BC-9112-DDEDC6189436.jpeg

When I got to that point with mine, many years ago, I did some reading up and discovered that you're supposed to fit the bright trim (mine was the original stainless one) to the rubber before fitting the screen to the car. It's really hard to do it afterwards. I don't even know where my trim is now because I never did manage to fit it.

• Adrian Saunders changed the title to GT6 MK 3 windscreen seal & trim - how?

yes  i would fit the stainless trim with the screen out it locks the glass in place does not affect the inner flip to roll over/string   the  flip over aperture flange

a simpler  mylar insert is easier to fit when  in car , 

there are many tools about to open up the rubber slot but they can be a pain and fight to a standstill with much tea and cursing 

use plenty of slippy soap mix .

Pete

This seems to be the windscreen version of steering rack bellows - the more grease or lubricant you use the easier it becomes but the harder it is to hold or keep in place. If he was to use two people - one to pull the cable out but another to press the chrome trim down against the rubber, he might have more luck, but hats off for doing it one handed... where the seal goes back in under the trim is easily sorted with one of those modern, very thin, trim tools slipped in under to prise it back out again. I'd have preferred it if he had showed the theory of how it fits ie what actually holds it in place, so that a novice would understand what is required to hold it in place and which bits of the seal to put it under, but it's still a good video.

The screen was recently out of my GT6 for some paintwork - the chap who re-fitted it fitted the stainless trim to the rubber before installing the windscreen. Not particularly helpful when the screen is already fitted - bit like asking for directions and being told not to start from where you are - but fitting the trim before the screen does seem to be the accepted best way forward.

Gully

Oh my. The pic on that site tells me how, it is below. What is it actually supposed to do? It doesn’t lock/spread the seal like the trims that you push right into a seal. Does it provide resistance to the glass trying to push out of the seal. Re the door slam/pressure build up scenario, or perhaps an exceptional fart. 

97C7A208-D577-4907-8CAA-9667CDE6216E.gif