Vitesse bonnet hinges - what goes where?

Chris H

It's over 20 year since I took the bonnet off of my Vitesse and now that I've come to re-fit it I'm uncertain of the order in which the various components around the pivot should be assembled.

I've found a couple of photos (see below) which show differing ways of doing it. One shows the bonnet stay rod and overider link next to each other, whereas another image (possibly after renovation) seems to show them on either side of the bonnet pivot. (I think these photos are of different sides - just to add to the confusion - and also they add confusion as to where the (slotted) link to the overider bracket should fit. On the outside or inside (left/right viewed from front of car) of the overider mounting bracket.

Ii guess it might be a matter of whichever gives the best alignment result 'though one way the bonnet bracket has locating support on only one side, the other on both sides.

Any enlightenment welcomed.

As an aside, I think that the biggest advantage nowadays if you start a restoration is having digital cameras. You can just take loads of pictures of everything you start to dismantle. That wasn't an option when I started, so I have few images from the early days, only partially labelled bags of bits and hand drawn diagrams and written notes. It often turns out to be some little thing in the photos background that is most useful later on.

Chris

image.thumb.jpeg.1d9c2f42cdf86216c2ac5abcc603e3ee.jpeg

triumph-vitesse-12-6d994fe2.jpg

1 hour ago, Chris H said:

I've found a couple of photos (see below) which show differing ways of doing it.

I think they actually show the same way but the rusty first picture is missing some bits and appears to have a misleading reinforcement bit welded to the tube. As PmV's picture shows, the correct assembly is bolt through washer then adjuster stay then one link then washer then pivot tube then washer then second link, washer and nut.

My bonnet also has welded-on reinforcement plates and they prevent it opening properly if adjusted to the correct height. 😒

In your first picture you're missing the other bonnet link plate; there will be one on each side (and fit them the correct way - hole to the top, slot to the bottom!)

The bonnet adjuster rod goes to the inside of the assembly - once fitted to the suspension turret you'll realise that it can't move to the other side as this twists it too much and it will foul on other parts. It will naturally lie towards the inner edge of each assembly. 

So: from centre: bolt, washer, link plate, (spacer / bracket) link plate, adjusting rod, washer, nut. Each photo below is looking from the outside towards the centre.

494FF29D-0E63-4240-916C-864EA491FEC4_1_105_c.jpg.ee3a08a3a845faf118f5b38c381c93dd.jpg 05027549-31C0-44A8-9950-99ECC45AF142_1_105_c.jpg.62c491f58864805b4f48c54b6380a8f0.jpg

this is an old nutshell of confusion   the parts list shows slot at top pivot on signle hole  the WSM shows it reversed 

from my own conundrum on my 64 Vit6  this has no space tube to pivot on justa drilled boss

you cant fit the pivot to the slot as if tightend you lock the hinge  if losse enough to pivot  the fisrt bump and it all slides down the slot 

so on mine it was definitley pivot on the hole and height adjust with the slot on the chassis brackets 

seems later had a spacer bush in the pivot ...never seen one   but as wsm and parts list show reversed clues   i guess know one at triumph had a clue 

some make longer links to aid height adjustments as the link angle can lock up where you need to go 

so slots up / slots down is a good debate ......!!!!!

Pete

50 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

this is an old nutshell of confusion   the parts list shows slot at top pivot on signle hole  the WSM shows it reversed 

some make longer links to aid height adjustments as the link angle can lock up where you need to go 

I tried it recently when refitting the bonnet to the white Herald in the photos; with the hole at the bottom it would not clear the bonnet tube and move sufficiently far backwards to close the gaps at the bulkhead, so that settled it for that car.

My WSM (the set of six books) appears to show both orientations - 45 with slot at top, 6 with slot at bottom, but if you look closely it gets more confusing, as the slot is to the bonnet tube in the first, but the rod is to the hole in the second, being an early car and non-adjustable.

DSCF9949.jpg.3351106d613bea14c935e8cd44a863e5.jpg  DSCF9951.jpg.c5ade449fa3fc32b8194cea0ca8f76d8.jpg

The one I'm taking as correct is from the Service Training notes, which shows the slot to the bottom in the later cars and the rod to the inside; yet here it only mentions up / down adjustment NOT back or forth.

11239307_ScreenShot2020-10-22at10_58_16.jpg.65ab562d5cd0f4de2272862740124e29.jpg

I'm presently waiting on a set of longer bonnet link brackets; I ordered them from a manufacturer that I've obtained parts from before and he's to get back to me within the next week when they're finished. The originals are fouling the bonnet tube and will not adjust as I want them; if they're all the way back to close the gaps at the bulkhead then the bonnet is too high at the front above the valence, and to drop the front means they move forwards as well as down so the gaps increase. Longer brackets will give me an inch more adjustment.

17 hours ago, Pimp my Vit said:

Not sure if this helps...

Thanks for all the replies and pics, all appreciated. Hopefully I'll be in a position to try fitting the bonnet in next few coming days using your collective guidance and it'll all come together without a hitch... maybe .

Chris

from a design point of view i dont see why you would fit a pivoting main body panel   to a  slotted location  you should have the pivot in a fixed hole and make the link slot adjustable to the chassis then all is constrained in a more reasoned manner 

the whole set up is a bit iffy but its asted 50m years whats not to like   Hmmmm  !!!