Cowling around stalks on column 13/60

Jeffds1360

Just removed the cowling on my herald to investigate "non returning" indicator. 

Now, the top and bottom screw hole fittings are "handed". I.E. one is flat and one is domed. So, it can only fit one way round as the aftermarket overdrive switch fitted on my 13/60 must be forward of the indicator or it would foul the steering wheel. 

When i removed the left hand half, i found that the 'transfer' showing side,main and dip positions was on the BACK of the cowl! ???.

How weird is that?

Does any car have the O/D switch in front of the indicator stalk? ( closer to the driver)

Now that's interesting! Maybe I could swap sides?

I guess some PO has stuck the transfer on upside down or backwards and if I swap them over I might end up indicating with my lights???. My Honda usually turns corners with the wipers going and I flash when squirting the screen!.

Pleased I am not left handed and going mad :)

Is the indicator not returning ie turning off when the wheel is rotated, or is it not clicking into place when the arm is moved up or down? 

O/D lever is on the right and closest to the dash. The two fittings on the cowl fit into each other ie the domed one is the outer, and the flat one goes in underneath; so you should have a domed one on top, then a flat under, and the underside will follow suit. If you match like for like then one side or the other is going to be back to front.

Yes, like mine Paul.

Colin, indicator will not return, very often, after a left turn. It clicks back solidly after right turn but sort of 'blops ' back occasionally after left turn.

My real surprise was finding the transfer on the wrong side of the lighting stalk side! He had maybe had it on upside down so flat to flat and dome to dome :)

I cannot rotate them as the od would be either too close to wheel or on the left..... then it would be up or down off or down or up on or where I left it.. but only in 3rd and 4th of course!

once youve turned them off going into a bend instead of being  on  main you tend to remember 

it should be up off/sides only     1st down  main    2nd down     dip   

get it wrong it goes very  DARK 

transfers do turn up on various sites  see the post on engine bay stickers   http://www.classicrepro.co.uk/Triumph.htm

they guy who bought my Vit6 phoned and complained the indicators didnt work 

there again he was using the headlamp stalk ....worrying 

pete

Yes Pete, cheers, not been out in the dark yet..... not been out in the wet either.

My CR-Z is back to front, My Amica is 'correct' (I'm surprised at Honda, what with them driving on the left. I have to 'think' every time I indicate when in that. .... gears and indicators on the left. Right hand for wipers only. Bloody stupid idea :)

Yep the od should be on the right behind the indicator. I find the indicators don't cancel because the steering column with the cancelling clip is in the wrong place. With the wheels straight ahead the clip should be in the centre of the 2 lugs on the indicator switch if not undo the clamp near the steering rack pull the column out and rotate til in the correct place. you should also have (or at least on mine) a elongated O on the end of the column which should be vertical with the wheels straight ahead

54 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

(I'm surprised at Honda, what with them driving on the left. I have to 'think' every time I indicate when in that. .... gears and indicators on the left. Right hand for wipers only. Bloody stupid idea

Back when I worked at Rover, when the press briefly decided not to automatically deride everything they did just because they were British, the comment was sometimes made that the switch gear made the journalist feel like the indicators were going to be "on the wrong side" - meaning the correct, right, side - because it looked like Honda's switch gear, where the indicators would have been on the right. Because Japan is a RHD market like Britain.

Over the last 20 years, even the Japanese have given up on being logical about it and towed the stupid industry line that Britain, being part of Europe, should have European-style switch gear with the indicators on the left, as you'd want with a LHD car. Perhaps that could be the one and only good thing to come out of Brexit but I don't hold any hopes because this idiocy never had anything to do with the EU, it was merely a cost-of-complexity decision because Japan is the only other significant RHD market (and they don't buy many foreign cars). Decide to fit the same steering column to all cars and you're going to choose the LHD one because that's where you sell most.