Fitting Newtronic Electronic Ignition

rulloyd

Does anybody have any experience of fitting a Newtronic Electronic ignition from the 1980's please? I'm refitting it to my car after a lot of years and I can't remember how it was wired.  A wiring diagram or instructions would be ideal please?  There's no model number written anywhere on it.

Any advice much appreciated!  Rich

IMG_3108a.JPG.fbe3dab4ad42effc52b47e8d7b19dc39.JPG

34 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Perfect thank you. 😉😉  Stand down Roger I think I have what I need.  Thank you both.

To tell you the truth, when dismantling the ignition system in a hurry, I didn't want to disrupt the dizzy so I cut the red cable between the dizzy and the control unit, planning to rejoin it.   Only then did I realise it had 6 wires inside.  Planning to solder them all up but if anybody has the main red cable (which I think is joined to the optical unit) and is happy to part with it, do please let me know! (they are very small wires!).

Or perhaps, can anybody recommend a small waterproof connector for 6 very small wires...

All assistance much appreciated.

Rich

9 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello  I found mine and I have a unit I removed from our Spitfire to fit megajolt then microsquirt.

If you want it you can have it for a reasonable price

Roger

Ah ha, that could well be my best option thank you.  Can you message me a price please?  Is it likely to be the same sensor unit though (4cylinder vs 6)? 

One of the reasons I cut the wire was to avoid disrupting the set up in the dizzy do you have the instructions for that?! (not on the site Scrapman kindly forwarded or the manufacturers site as far as I can see).

Many thanks

Rich

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, p7rider said:

just seen this thread. nothing to add other than I've been running one of those since the 80's and never missed a beat.

Good to know.   The conclusion to my story is that sadly the box that Roger kindly sold me actually had a different attachment for the lamp in the dizzy which could not be modified so I couldn’t use it.  I had to resort to soldering my cable (last night by coincidence).  The instructions show that the unit is compatible with 4 or 6 cylinder (just by changing the slotted disc in the dizzy) but only for compatible dizzys I guess.  I presume the spit (from which it came) is a different distributor.  😩😩

The actual control unit looks identical and will be useful as a spare.

Anyway, hope to install the fixed unit at the weekend and start the rebuilt engine - exciting times 👍👍

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, rulloyd said:

Good to know.   The conclusion to my story is that sadly the box that Roger kindly sold me actually had a different attachment for the lamp in the dizzy which could not be modified so I couldn’t use it.  I had to resort to soldering my cable (last night by coincidence).  The instructions show that the unit is compatible with 4 or 6 cylinder (just by changing the slotted disc in the dizzy) but only for compatible dizzys I guess.  I presume the spit (from which it came) is a different distributor.  😩😩

The actual control unit looks identical and will be useful as a spare.

Anyway, hope to install the fixed unit at the weekend and start the rebuilt engine - exciting times 👍👍

Hello Rich 

That is a shame but Spitty has Luas and I suppose you are Delco? We never thought of that goodness knows why Triumph used both?

Still you could sell it on as it should be ok on a Lucas system and I think someone would like it for the same sort of price!

Roger