Removing stainless trim from Vitesse

daverclasper

Hi.  The trim that runs along the front of bonnet and rear of roof I want to remove as looks like it is rusting a bit underneath.

I understand that it will tap off, with a piece of wood to protect it?.  When refitting, will it be prone to scraping the paint off?. If so any tips on avoiding this.

Cheers, Dave   

The front trim is held on with special 'U' shaped clips with tangs on, once its starting to come off at one end, gentle pulling should ease the rest of it off, a wooden drift and gentle hammering should start it at one end.

If re-using these clips, a good coating of your chosen Rustproofer (Dinitrol 3125 is my preferred one) to all areas will help, clean off excess with White spirit when its fitted.

Some people Ignore the clips and use Silicon sealant to hold the trims on.

I'm not sure about removing the rear Trim finisher on a saloon roof, probably a similar method and similar clips hold it on?

Hi Dave!  Took off and refitted mine a few weeks ago!  As the others have said, "the paint does come off" when removing the trim!  I purchased new clips although some of the others where usable!  Just make sure that the trim gap is correct on fitting the clips inside? and the trim is straight as possible! I used around 8-10 clips and sealant for extra strength!  I doubled up on a cloth and used a rubber mallet to tap on the trim, making sure that the front trim marries up with the curved corners.