Manifold gasket

JohnD

A recent thread on "Cylinder head gasket" has extended to three pages, on several aspects.  How about one on manifold gaskets?

The new one, from a reputable source (OK, Rimmers ) is a lousy fit!     Has their gasket cutting jig got out of shape?      My studs are not bent, so why are the holes out of place?     Then, the cut-outs for the exhaust ports were too small, which may be as a result of porting work, so I can't blame Rimmers for that, but they were out of place too!

After some work with a chisel and gouge (for the curved corners) and my die grinder (a better tool than a file, as it doesn't bend the edges of the gasket out of its plane) I have one that fits the studs and won't impede flow, but should I need to do that?    Anyone else had problems with ill-fitting manifold gaskets?

John

Have recently fitted one to my Mk1 Vitesse. As far as I know engine standard.

Holes lined up, though some exhaust apertures were at least 1mm too small.

Just needed to get car back running, so left it as it was ( I only potter so not a big deal ?).

On the whole I haven't had expensive (though has taken a fair bit of my time to sort ) issues yet with modern parts. It can be frustrating at times , though generally, I'm just glad that as our cars are popular and still catered for.

I still think it's worth notifying/complaining at times , as it could be something simplistic to rectify?, as well as demanding to other folk who are out to rip you off 

I would rather pay more , for a manifold gasket, that I knew was good, though for other parts that have been ok and cheap, I feel chuffed.

Then as well, pissed off when a £2 trunnion upper seal starts failing after 2 years (would rather pay more more  in the first place to save having to strip hub down).

Ownership of my Vit, has been cheap, (though time consuming on occasion), regarding parts so far for me so far.

I feel more glass half full than empty.

Cheers, Dave         

Edited by daverclasper

Nigel,

Never knew Payen did one!

Is the Payen item in the same, or similar material to their head gaskets?   With a thermosetting glue on each side?

What I got as a manifold gasket (and have never seen otherwise) is a thin perforated metal sheet, with a layer of some black composition on each side.   The compo doesn't look or feel like the Payen head gasket covering.

All the Payen JA510s online look like that, except for this offering: http://www.heritagegasketsltd.co.uk/products/4588089187/triumph-2.0-2.5-payen-ref-no-ja510/9369036 which is silvery, with a metal reinforcement around each port.  I like that!  (No one answering Heritage's phone this am)

The 4 cylinder manifold gasket that comes in a full engine set from  Canleys has the same problem and needs a fair bit of remodelling around the stud holes with a Dremel to make it fit.  The inlet and exhaust port apertures are not that bad though and can be used as is unless you are pedantic about exact alignment.

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

Nigel,

Never knew Payen did one!

Is the Payen item in the same, or similar material to their head gaskets?   With a thermosetting glue on each side?

What I got as a manifold gasket (and have never seen otherwise) is a thin perforated metal sheet, with a layer of some black composition on each side.   The compo doesn't look or feel like the Payen head gasket covering.

All the Payen JA510s online look like that, except for this offering: http://www.heritagegasketsltd.co.uk/products/4588089187/triumph-2.0-2.5-payen-ref-no-ja510/9369036 which is silvery, with a metal reinforcement around each port.  I like that!  (No one answering Heritage's phone this am)

John,

Payen manifold gaskets have dimpled foil both sides, not aware of any coating like on their head gaskets.

Heritage list JA510 on their website but web ordering doesn't work and when I tried calling a few months ago no reply and no response to voicemail either.

Search for JA510 on the TRR forum and there's more info.

Nigel