Guidance from those who know?

Paul Hewitson

when i started my gt6 resto i couldn't weld, i can now.... not brilliantly but it's not going to fall apart.

start with scrap metal then go for easy welds on the car like little patches or spot welds on new panels.

you learn to weld up holes early on because you will "blow thru" the thin sheet on our cars, everyone has done it!

if you use gas, get larger 9 litre bottles( i use hobbyweld) rent free (i.e. you can keep the bottle as long as you want).

i have a gas/gasless migmate, it's great if you run out of gas in the middle of a lockdown as you can switch to flux cored wire and carry on.....

paul

"Welding is like ...."

Careful, Pete, you don't want to get all Swiss Tony!   But ludwig reminds me, if those starting are seeking advice - the metal of our cars is thin, and even thinner after the metal worms have been at them.     Attack a panel you intend to weld with an awl, that pointed tool for punching holes.  HIT the panel with your awl - yes, pointed end first - to find the thinner bits.    You may be surprised how far back from a rusted hole the awl will punch right through!     Anywhere that is true, cut it away, cut back another - ? inch? - to reasonably thick metal, else you will forever be "blowing through".

John

• Like 1