Spitfire mk4 or 1500 inner axle shafts wanted

jiggawhat2k

Hi there, I'm looking for a pair of inner stub axles in usable condition. Ideally also with the bearing on but on their own works too. Image of what I need attached. 

I'm rebuilding a herald 4.11 diff with an lsd but the lsd I have is designed for later spitfires and needs the larger spline. 

Happy to pay a fair price, would also require shipping. 

Thanks very much as ever! Jim

20201031_000353.jpg

42 minutes ago, johny said:

Looking at this page I think the flanges are the same size but theres two sizes of bolts used. On a 13/60 diff (serial nº GE?) the bolt holes should be smaller but splines large....

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?archive=different-differentials

Great thanks, had a look at the link - the diff has a GA stamp so is from an early Herald. 

The new internals of the diff are for a big quarter shaft. 

Based on that, I'd need type B or type C I think? 

• Type A Square front pinion flange. 5/16 bolt holes all round (1/2 AF spanner size). Small quarter shaft diameter inside. Casing no's G, Y, GA, FC to 120,000. 

• Type B Square front pinion flange. 5/16 bolt holes all round (1/2 AF spanner size). Big quarter shaft diameter inside. Casing no's GE, FC from 120,001. 

• Type C Square front pinion flange. 5/16 bolt holes on front flange (1/2 AF spanner size). 3/8 bolt holes on ourput flanges (9/16 AF spanner size). Casing no HB. 

• Type D Round front pinion flange. 3/8 bolt holes all round (9/16 AF spanner size). Casing no's FH, FK, FR, FD, HC, KC, KD.

Thanks for the help guys! 

21 minutes ago, NonMember said:

No, Pete was suggesting you use the "large flange" inner axle shaft (from a type D diff) and swap the UJ flanges (D54aSPT on your second picture) to match.

Right got you. OK that makes sense, and means I can use the large flange large spline variant from a 1500?

Thats it.

Depends how much power increase your intending to have and/or if using a LSD is harder on halfshafts? In either case larger bolts wouldnt be a bad idea especially as it sounds the LSD was intended for use with the later stub axles. Saying that though I dont know if its the bolts and flanges that give problems as much as the weaker inner stub axles themselves....

3 hours ago, johny said:

Thats it.

Depends how much power increase your intending to have and/or if using a LSD is harder on halfshafts? In either case larger bolts wouldnt be a bad idea especially as it sounds the LSD was intended for use with the later stub axles. Saying that though I dont know if its the bolts and flanges that give problems as much as the weaker inner stub axles themselves....

The car will be driven fairly hard once events are back on, there do seem to be recommendations to use the larger spline but not sure on bigger flange. Would make sense to me to go bigger as a precaution? 

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

surely if going LSD then you would benefit to change the inner coupling flanges for the 3/8bolt holes ??

the torque/lock  might overload the 5/16" bolts 

Pete

Doubtful

Subaru diff uses m8 bolts for prop to diff. And I am putting 180+bhp through that pretty often.

Saying that, genuine Subaru bolts are very expensive. I opted for cap-head bolts which are 12.9 rated, and bough some long enough that teh unthreaded shank went past the join (which meant bolts a tad too long, so a bit of teh threaded section had to be cut off)

I can't see  5/16 bolts struggling with 100bhp

• Thanks 1

Resurrecting this as I found two stub axles and realised I'm not actually sure how to tell (in the absence of a suitable diff to try against) whether they're small or large. They're small hole flanges, which means they're not from the definitely-large-type diff that I thought they'd been removed from. Does anyone know the critical dimension to measure?

Rob  from the WSMs  the larger had 20 tooth splines    22mm dia             smaller had 18 tooth splines   20mm dia  

what fits what i had a vitesse1600 4.11:1   stamped  HB   with the 20 spline inner shafts ,   

theres a whole scatter if intro  com numbers for all models of this change                                                                                                                            

if that helps 

Pete