Stalling all the time

Shaun Parkin

My Mk IV 1300 Spitfire has been running lovely but over the last couple of days is wanting to stall at any opportunity, running rich and eventually stalled and would not restart.  I fiddled with the carbs and pressed the petrol feed pipe coming from the bottom of one float chamber, don't know what I did but it clicked and the car is running great again.  Any one know what I did and what the problem could be?

Thanks.

Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply, under the float chambers are little red 'button' type things, I'm assuming this is what clicked, is that what you are referring to.  I'm more used to a '72 VW camper, only had the Spitty since Feb proving to be a bit of a diva!!

Thanks

Shaun

Sounds like you have sticky jet(s), when you use the choke these are pulled down to richen the mixture if they don't return when you push the choke back in the carbs will be running rich and you'll get the symptoms you mention.

If it keeps doing it you'll need to take them off and clean them and along with the jet assembly they slide up and down in.

Had the same with an area car this week,

its pretty common on SU

also have carefull look at the awful set of levers and angles of rods that connect the cable pull to the jet dropping action,

its been reported that the small flexible tube to the jet base is 3mm too long and reducing the length is known to improve things

pete