GT6 Oil Filter

rulloyd

I see the GT6 standard oil filter cartridge l ordered off paddocks is half the width of the original.  Wondering if this is the ‘modern replacement’ or are Paddocks sending out the wrong one?  Anyone know?

I’ve  ordered 2 now and they were both narrower (I mean same diameter, smaller depth)

thanks

Rich

17 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

My 1969 GT6 Mk2 (bought in 1977) has the deeper filter, which I must assume is an original fitment.

Filter part No. is GFE131.

Ian

I wonder if it was seen as an early upgrade? bigger filter=better?

(though probably not as it takes longer to fill. But goodness knows why 2 different sizes were used. Today some cars use tiny filters with 15K oil changes)

Ah, now it’s becoming clear.  I raised the query because my Vitesse owner friend mentioned it when he saw the filter element.  I guess like me he had no idea they were different between vitesse/GT6 - and I’d forgotten what the original looked like.     Problem solved, thank you!   

This forum really is an excellent resource.  Thank you to all those who take the time to offer advice.   Brilliant 👍👍👍👍👍

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's true; both our Mondeo and the Freelander use amazingly small paper cartridges which must be down to better engine design and better materials.

First MX5 we had needed an oil change. I couldn't find the filter. Eventually realised it was (a) black and (b) the size of an aerosol cap. Tiny little thing.

Yes, down to high quality oils, EFi (precise mixture) and better machining tolerances, though they were pretty good anyway by the time our cars were built.

I have a Vitesse filter canister on my GT6, so always have to remember to buy the larger GFE131 filter and not the standard GFE138 for the GT6. Read somewhere that the smaller canister on the GT6 was simply standardising for the LHD market where the deeper canister clashed with the steering column.

Gully