Potential New GT6 Owner - Anyone recognize the car?

avivalasvegas

6 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

£1200 what the heck were they  covering a Fleet ?? of Astons 

its the post codes  risks  that hike premiums more than the cars 

Pete

Have you met Colin? You are on th eright lines though.

My premium with PJ is just under £300. Over 33K insured over 3 cars, all modified (sprint engined Toledo, fast road mk3 spit and 175ish bhp mkIV spit with ford engine) Think that is OK....

8 minutes ago, clive said:

My premium with PJ is just under £300. Over 33K insured over 3 cars

Similar here - although I think I'm only £31K total value. That did hike the premium from when the valuation was only £12K, enough to swing it from "less than the single modern" to somewhat more than.

At a recent ZOOM meeting of the umbrella organisation for Victorian Car Clubs the AOMC (Assoc of Motoring Clubs) the Vic Roads (Govt Reg Authority) a senior officer giving a presentation and answer session on the future of the CP (club Permit Scheme for classic cars) did advise that next year there was going to be a wide ranging review of the whole Victorian car registration system to cover the the future. We assumed it was to cover electric vehicles as around 50% of petrol tax  comes back to the states for new roads and maintenance and obviously the states are losing significant revenue with the change of the car fleet away from gas, diesel and petrol vehicles. Assuming there's some follow the leader we might get some of your tax systems?

Thanks for the info.

Peter T

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

I would have said +1 for PJ as well in the past, but they tried to turn me over this year, saying that even though my premium was right, they didn't think I was paying enough to cover the risk, so they doubled my premium to £1200.

Most classic policies are underwritten by Equity Red Star.

Yikes!! I renewed mine two weeks ago, and doubled the agreed value on the GT6 - when I saw this Mk2 I realised mine was way undervalued! - and with unlimited mileage and £100 excess it still only cost me £95. I felt flush enough to add breakdown and key cover. PJ and in earlier years FJ were hugely expensive for me.

56 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Colin,

I'm with PJ and my premium went from £95 to £120 when I got a club valuation. I would suggest that as you have a mk1, the Holy Grail, and mine is only a mk3 you're still undervalued. 

Doug

I'd say you're right, Doug, but at least the value is now doubled from what it was - I offered it to someone two years ago for £7500, being completely put of touch with values...

It's funny too that when I bought the Mk1, which was a model I always admired (even though at that stage I had a Mk3) no-one wanted them. I think it was the fact that so many 'enthusiasts' put them down in favour of other models, and the period - the 1960s -that appealed to me more than the later cars. There are a lot more of them these days, and they're being maintained and looked-after much more than they used to be.

37 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Colin,

There is this magazine called the Courier that lists our car prices, concours mk1 24k, A1+ £20k. You should take a look. :)

Doug 

Didn't have any real interest, Doug... wasn't buying, wasn't selling. Just motoring along in happy mode and only after some considerable time realised that while my Insurance value was pretty much the same as from 2010 or so, others were skyrocketting. Bernard valued mine at £20k. Hopefully I never see that as it's write-off value only. 

As for sale values.. I'm still buying Heralds for between £50 and £300. The club doesn't give values as low as that... :)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Very kind of you to share them! I've agreed the deal with the owner, Andrew, and will be picking the car up tomorrow.

Andy, the owner, was kind enough to give it a drive today to make sure all worked well. Wish me luck!

Looking forward to contributing and learning on these forums in the years ahead!

Glad to hear the deal is going ahead, exciting times!

Roughly what route are you taking on your 4 hour drive home from Liverpool? In the unlikely event you need help on the way back, there are lots of forum members around. For example, I'm in Market Harborough, 20 mins from M1 J20 and 10 mins from A14 J2.

We're here to help!

Nigel

11 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

£1200 what the heck were they  covering a Fleet ?? of Astons 

its the post codes  risks  that hike premiums more than the cars 

Pete

9 cars, combined value about £50k insurance values.

Low risk area, older claim free policy holder, 9 named drivers. All cars pretty standard apart from my Moss kit car.

Agreed value, unlimited mileage and class 1 business use ( so I could take to work occasionally during nice weather.)

I asked what might be loading the premium, nothing they said. 

I am now insured through Cherished Vehcle Insurance Services who are part of A-Plan, who provide the TRR policies, though mine is tied to Club Triumph. ask for Pete Barrett, who is a Triumph owner himself and very knowledgeable, so modifications Easily understood.

Hello All

I am with Peter James and have just taken out a multi car policy for the 4 year old modern 4 Triumphs and 3 Velocette motorcycles and it will be £600 a year.

But I will only pay for the modern now and the others will be added when they are due and I like the idea of all being with one company and only one phone number for breakdown(not going to happen) or accident (also not going to happen!)

Roger

1 hour ago, Nigel Clark said:

Glad to hear the deal is going ahead, exciting times!

Roughly what route are you taking on your 4 hour drive home from Liverpool? In the unlikely event you need help on the way back, there are lots of forum members around. For example, I'm in Market Harborough, 20 mins from M1 J20 and 10 mins from A14 J2.

We're here to help!

Nigel

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

and i am near M1 J11a

Pete

Many thanks both - Looks like I'll be taking the M62 -> M6 -> M1 down. If I run into trouble, I'll be sure to post here tomorrow evening.

3 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Very kind of you to share them! I've agreed the deal with the owner, Andrew, and will be picking the car up tomorrow.

Andy, the owner, was kind enough to give it a drive today to make sure all worked well. Wish me luck!

Looking forward to contributing and learning on these forums in the years ahead!

I am between Junc 16 and 15 M6. So a few of us on your route :) 

Tony.  

• Thanks 1

agree about reliability in the past 18 years only got help once  in the Vit6 when the diff carrier bolt unwound and locked the propshaft

had i been in old togs i and got under would have been an easy fix .

it was a recon diff from a regular supplier but they had not used the tapered wedgelock bolts specified , just a 3/8 bolt in a 7/16 hole 

but all these cars will take you shopping or around the world without having to constantly fail or need ravages of tinkering 

Pete

• Like 1

its true  many Must haves  can be nightmares 

I stick to what Triumph developed does what it says on the tin 

we all like to twiddle  many changes you can get on the aftermarket sound good , but on the stop watch is often ,,, a lot worse than original

if we all had dynamometers and rolling roads on the doorstep maybe you could make an actual improvement ,

but most are aimed at your wallet not the way  the car drives .

sorry  being a dinosaur............... i have an avid hate of Must Haves  you Must not have  unless you like a headache 

well its raining again

Pete

• Like 1

I've done that run a few times, in the opposite direction, from the south up to Stranraer. The M25 was entertaining in a 948 Herald...

If you don't mind a bit of teaching Granny to do things: first thing to do when off the boat is find a good Petrol Station / Service area with a newspaper and good coffee shop. (Difficult in these times, I know)

Once the GT6 has cooled a bit check oil, water and tyre pressures. I brought my Mk1 up the M6 from Coventry to Lancaster Services (Forton?) with one of the tyres at 15 psi, which I never noticed as the whole car was new to me. After that, tootle gently along in the inside lane of the motorway and don't go mad on the third-lane overtakes until you're sure the car handles well at speed - it may not have undertaken any long, fast journeys in a while and speed will uncover any faults very quickly. Some upgrades to our cars can actually make the car worse on long, steady drives.

Once you get it home park it outside a window where you can sit indoors with a coffee and admire it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

tootle gently along in the inside lane of the motorway and don't go mad on the third-lane overtakes

Remember, you will almost certainly be the smallest/lowest car out there and 'they' do not see you; but when they do be prepared to smile/wave particularly to the children in the back!

Dick

• Thanks 1

Actually, the GT6 is a bit of a dimensional upgrade from our current vehicle, which I am forced to sell.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1285742

I wondered if the replacement frequency for the Rotoflex couplings was linked to years since install or miles driven. The car has only driven ~10K miles on the replacement couplings but service records indicate they were replaced over a decade ago.