Boot lid stay bracket

ean

Vitesse Mk2 1970. The bracket that creates the link between the Boot Lid Stay and the Boot Lid has rotted away as can be seen. Did investigate having an extension welded to the right of the hole surrounded by the rust but advised by the mechanic I use for servicing that the metal is so thin that it would likely burn away. Any ideas where I may be able to find a new or even second hand one in good comdition? The interesting thing is - how did it rot away when it is on the up side of the boot lid. Have tried R...s but they appear not to stock that item. Shame that we cannot visit Breakers Yards anymore, used to be intresting wandering, looking and rummaging.

stay lid bracket 03.JPG

stay lid bracket 01.JPG

you could weld it to a new base plate , water has come in via the screw holes in the lid , not uncommon 

just adding a plate to the back would probably need the stay pivot hole elongating but its not the end of the world to make up a replacement

even heat and fold a bit of plate /strap from BQ it doesnt need the flanges , just make from something more robust 

just needs a drill and a vice ????   

and apply sealer or a rubber seal between the lid and the new bracket and seal the outer screws and holes 

yours has obviously fractured long ago it should fit under both support screws 

just an idea for a fairly simple unobtanium bracket 

Pete

43 minutes ago, ean said:

The interesting thing is - how did it rot away when it is on the up side of the boot lid.

As Pete says, water getting in through the screw holes. Mine was ok but the bootlid suffered. Easy enough I suppose to make a new one, or else try some of the usual breakers if you want an original look. This is the only one I have so I need to look after it, but it will give you an idea of the profile if you want to try to match it. Incidentally I've just bought replacement screws in stainless, 3/16 (no 10) UNF, 80 degree countersunk head; the originals are 1/2 inch but I've found that 3/4 is actually a better length.

F0D0A289-E070-4CC0-9C26-20A17D94CAFC_1_105_c.jpg.611fb1ed32c538412da1dcbb2b3d81ec.jpg 8DFFF1C7-562C-4605-9BCA-47A26DA81CA8_1_105_c.jpg.8cf44a27e6d9a800d526c3f406b9e07e.jpg

Many thanks for the comments.

Pete - up to now have not considered fabricating something as I would like to keep the whole, the car that is, as original as possible. The underlying nag would be that once a non-standard bit is fitted could it be the slippery slope to other non-standard bits. But if I can not find one your suggestion will be well taken. I do wonder if the extra bracket thing which is not rusted is really required, it does not seem to have a purpose unless the rotted part flexes when the boot is opened or closed and it presses against the boot to stop the flexing. (That was abit long winded). Will also apply some form of seal with the bolts.

Colin - your pic with the two holes is interesting as it would appear that the left hand hole has suffered damage and has had to be remade just like mine. Managed to get it repaired with a piece of metal welded in and the hole with counter sink created. Obtained replacement screws from an excellent shop in Camberely as the thread on the originals had become damaged.

Dick - I will email Spitbitz, thanks for that.

Peter - How is Melbourne - city of my birth sometime ago 🙃 As you say the steel would have to be a thicker gauge as the present one is quite thin and relies on the shaped profile for strength.

Iain

Ean, Melb 33C yesterday and very strong north wind little humid but could work in the garage OK, today 24 & cooling blustery southerly well it is Spring. Re Covid second wave recent Lock down was 4 months, but no cases for 16 days, still some restrictions on meetings and gatherings but we can now travel within Vic, masks still reqd, office workers still have to work from home (since March). South Aus was free for months but have a small cluster now due to returning Aussie quarantine and security guard getting it, there are still around 30,000 Aussies still trying to get home, but the other state Governments are only allowing around 6000 per 14 day quarantine cycle & after the Vic Gov second wave quarantine debacle we in Vic are still not receiving returning citizens!

You were born in Vic, I did it the opposite way, I was born in NE England, left at 6 months old July 45 for Canada, 4 years in Toronto then Vic, Aus for 13 years, dad recalled to the UK in 63, so we returned to NE England, 10 years loosely based there long enough to get married before permanently returning home to Vic in 74, with my 68 Vitesse (Oh and wife), still have both!!. My immediate family, brother, parents, and offsprings are all based here, it's HOME!

Peter. Just shows what a small world we ive in. My father had been posted to Australia by Shell and I was born in the maternity hopsital in Lewisham Road, City of Prahran. He was then moved to Trinidad from 1939 to '45 and finally back to the UK, where I have lived ever since. Came to Australia about 25 years ago for a nice long holiday - Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns, dived on the Great Barrier Reef brilliant, walked up Uluru before it was stopped what a place, then to Perth.

Thanks everyone. Nice to chat.

Iain

Dad over the years was the MD & President of various overseas subsidies of a very large UK heavy engineering and Petro Chem contracting company, hence the moves,

when he returned to the UK he spent most of his time traveling the world getting contracts, so much so I mean he was never home he travelled more than most airline pilots, he'd fill the extra thick UK passport in less than a year.

Funniest thing he was passing thro Heathrow when he heard a voice Harry, Harry on looking around it was our old neighbours from here in Melbourne, after pleasentaries they said how strange meeting in Heathrow, dads reply "not really I'm here more than anywhere else", how true was that! Late 60's I was on a Pan Am flight to NY in 1st when the hostess asked me if I was related to Harry Truman I replied yes but not the HT your thinking about, her reply no HT the English business man I said yes, she told me they all loved him because he used to tease them so much and they saw him more than their own families. I've known him fly on Concorde for a business lunch in NY then fly back to London on the same plane.

In the absence of a replacement. With access to a welder, and a vice, that could be repaired, trimmed back to thick steel. and flanges formed?. The trick might be to add (weld) a doubling plate between the bracket and the boot lid?, to stiffen it up?.

Pete.

BTW. We have a grandson living "out there" He works as  plumber, based in Gosford just North of Sydney. His parents lived in Farnborough (Hant`s) at the time, he went out to visit the girlfriend he knew at school, married her and stayed!. They now have 2 kids, one of whom we have never seen, and unless the Chinese Virus goes away probably never will.

5 hours ago, PeteH said:

In the absence of a replacement. With access to a welder, and a vice, that could be repaired, trimmed back to thick steel. and flanges formed?. The trick might be to add (weld) a doubling plate between the bracket and the boot lid?, to stiffen it up?

Should be feasible; if you look at where Ean's is broken off, it's going to be reinforced by the two bolts anyway (and largely covered by the boot stiffener) so even a butt-welded repair section with a reinforcement between the side flanges would, at worst, hold one end of the stiffener brace out slightly by a mm or two. Hardly noticeable, certainly not from outside, and with longer screws fitted to clear the new metal it would be a good fix.

• Like 1