New GT6 MK2 Purchase - The journey of improving it further!

avivalasvegas

one could say leave the uj till you get any knocking from it ,( yes thats a bit late but) 

some rotation of cups is going to happen as they are only a light (supposed) press fit so during rotation some cap rotation is not that unusual   rattling good fit is a def no no  

the drive shaft uj must not have any lift /float in the Cross pin  which is the killer 

a new uj cup may still be free to turn  depends on the state of the yoke   size and fit criteria 

any lift can be cured cheaply with thicker circlips available form places like canley classics 

Pete

I have a magnetic sump plug on one of mine but it's not the one I bought from one of the usual suppliers as that didn't fit. It only picked up a tiny amount over the last oil change interval despite the engine being quite elderly (all right, it hasn't done that many miles in the 30 years since it was rebuilt but it wasn't a full works rebuild, just a new crank and bearings).

33 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

Yes, but it's nice to be able to see what the magnet collected on the sump plug... Or is it?

Perhaps ignorance is bliss, like not having an oil pressure gauge!

Nigel

You can always cut the filter open during the oil change. A large speaker magnet taped to the side of the oil filter can collect an amazing amount of particles.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You can always cut the filter open during the oil change. A large speaker magnet taped to the side of the oil filter can collect an amazing amount of particles.

Be very careful to make sure that the magnet doesn't detach before removing the filter.

Allowing a large mass of iron and steel particles to suddenly rush through the engine will do it no good at all.

1 hour ago, KevinR said:

Be very careful to make sure that the magnet doesn't detach before removing the filter.

Allowing a large mass of iron and steel particles to suddenly rush through the engine will do it no good at all.

Shouldn't happen if the engine isn't running; the filter should retain the oil unless it's not anti-drain.

Haven't been able to find any Uk-based this morning; I remember straps that fitted round the filter to ring it with magnets. You can buy horrendously expensive versions called Filtermag or Aeromag, some of which claim they improve fuel economy too. Cheaper ones are by AliExpress or Powermag but all seem to be USA based these days.

I also found an interesting magnetic pre-filter that sandwiches between the block and the filter but good luck finding a thread that will fit Triumphs.

s-l300.jpg.dd5b95945e1898acbe1e193fac850891.jpg   Automotive-Oil-Filter-Magnet-NdFeB-Block-for-20x10x5-0-1-mm-Neodymium-Magnets-High-Temp.jpg.e7cc04cd65f6a9d224a32aad5b50bf33.jpg 

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Haven't been able to find any Uk-based this morning; I remember straps that fitted round the filter to ring it with magnets. You can buy horrendously expensive versions called Filtermag or Aeromag, some of which claim they improve fuel economy too. Cheaper ones are by AliExpress or Powermag but all seem to be USA based these days.

I also found an interesting magnetic pre-filter that sandwiches between the block and the filter but good luck finding a thread that will fit Triumphs.

s-l300.jpg.dd5b95945e1898acbe1e193fac850891.jpg   Automotive-Oil-Filter-Magnet-NdFeB-Block-for-20x10x5-0-1-mm-Neodymium-Magnets-High-Temp.jpg.e7cc04cd65f6a9d224a32aad5b50bf33.jpg 

https://www.agriemach.com/c436-automotive/c46-filtermag-see-special-offer

Filtermag 1.jpg

47 minutes ago, clive said:

But if steel/iron bits gets to the oil filter, they will have been through the pump, and then will be caught by the filter? I don't see the advanage.

I can if the magnet is in the sump, stopping stuff get to the pump. 

Logically then that would then be the same with any debris caught by the filter, if it must go through the pump prior to the filter; whilst not a perfect system, at the very least it stops debris going round twice, and as with the sump plug, it can be cleaned or thrown away at every oil change.

22 minutes ago, avivalasvegas said:

The main challenge I seem to be facing is finding the right sized magnetic drain plugs. Rimmer Bros sells one but I have no way of knowing it is the right size for the car. 

If you can find one, the magnetic plug out of a Triumph gearbox is perfect.

many mag plugs are hex headed straight threaded and rely on a washer to seal 

you can end up with a leak as the sump is designed to take a tapered plug which is self sealing , fit a faced hex plug the washer needs a face to seal against , it wont work that well on many of our sumps as the threaded collar is not faced that well .

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

many mag plugs are hex headed straight threaded and rely on a washer to seal 

you can end up with a leak as the sump is designed to take a tapered plug which is self sealing , fit a faced hex plug the washer needs a face to seal against , it wont work that well on many of our sumps as the threaded collar is not faced that well .

Pete

Pete, used them on several engines, no issues/leaks. No PTFE tape or sealer either. 

The thread in the sump feels a bit tapered, no idea if that is the case. But they do work together.

I have a magnetic plug, I had always assumed it was original, I think it is tapered. It has disappointingly little debris, even when my ex ran 20 miles with no oil, resulting in a re-bore and re-grind. So, it's just like gauges, something else to worry about. :lol:

Doug

Some time go on the Forum there was a discussion (thread) re sump plug thread (might have been gearbox?) and some aftermarket plugs were the incorrect threads ie UNF, BSP or NPT, two of those have the same TPI but different thread profiles, so make sure any magnetic plug you purchase is compatible.

Over the years I've collected many Triumph sq headed sump plugs and as a Covid job I installed think there called rare earth magnet ie a small round magnets into the end by drilling a hole in the end of the plug and pressing the magnet in, haven't used them yet!  

Eon's ago I purchased around 30 magnetic sump plugs from a UK cottage industry supplier for my then Aust Triumph Car Club regalia stock, at our annual combined Triumph Concour club stand they sold out in under an hour, the TR6 brigade went loopy over them!