plug holes !!

Pete Lewis

small basin in the cloaks has been a leaker since i installed it so out it comes and look see scratch head nothing obvious 

so strip it out and decide its the ole in the basin is too deep for the waste , so add a squidgee washer and aload of sticks like sh1t sealer , fight it all back in ...yes it leaks

after 7 in's and out's decided to replace the waste fitting as nutwas now a bit mullered

yes it leaks . take it all out and hold up over kitchen sink and start a flood   ...ah Ha  there it is , its the overflow slots leaking downstream of the plug ole 

so now attach the lower threads and gap to porcelain with more sticks like sh1t sealer new nut new washer and wind it all up together 

has t worked  ...no idea i banned anyone using it 

why are the so simple things a blasted nightmare it all started getting to 75  thats  my get out 

why is uk pumbing still in the dark ages 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

why is uk pumbing still in the dark ages 

Pete

I drained the hot water tank two years ago to replace a dud immersion heater. Drained completely, right to the bottom. Once I unscrewed the immersion heater, gallons came out, not just pints but an endless stream that overflowed a black bucket, all over the upstairs cupboard floor, the carpet, and eventually into the hall ceiling below, where you can still see the water stains today. (Really must paint that.) I thought I'd found a device for making water.

OR. plumbing suppliers/installers, who have no conception of the principle that long runs of pipework have "losses". and insist on making long runs in 15mm?. When my first year apprentice will tell you that a run of 22mm will supply 3 or more outlets with adequate flow simultaneously. Dohhhh!. P.S. I have a rubber bung which cap`s the outlet from the loft header tank, it does however involve getting up there and getting the arm wet!. But at least the 3 way valve was changed without a full drain-down. Fingers crossed, haven't had to replace an immersion element in some years!. Just the whole tank! (pin holed)

my previous 1970  housing estate was fitted with a crappy  Aladdin  tin box you set fire too in oct and blew out in may we ended up servicing them as i installed a wall flame and radiators 130 deg hot air at the ceiling was now defucnt so we used a local co to sand blast the burners and did a new lamps for old plan 

the Aladdin when first lit  resonated the flues and new owners would run out into the road fearing imminent take off

the spin off was we then got involved with fitting immersion heaters   we did 4 a night  no floods , just lock off the header drain a couple of pints 

and with a gigantic spanner we were in demand    then we got gas laid on and goodbye to the tin can heaters 

another spin off was the orig loft tanks had a plastic bodied ball valve these always snapped off outside the tank normally when on holiday to find water gushing out the eves , so being entrepreneurs we started fitting cheap brass last  a lifetime valves  so in all we fitted over 300 

whats wrong with moonlighting  just a  snapshot  of my history 

staying awake next day  at work was a challenge  

Pete

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the spin off was we then got involved with fitting immersion heaters   we did 4 a night  no floods , just lock off the header drain a couple of pints 

Yes, that's what I was told too. Copper tank completely drained, you could tap all the way to the bottom and hear the empty echo, no water at any tap, then off with the immersion and whoosh. At one point Moses appeared and parted a path for me across the landing.

i wonder if the indirect calorifier coil has a hole and its refilled from the cold /hot supply tank ( the bigger one )

to add a immersion you only need to drop it below the fitting flange and if it was empty and you had not locked off the small header tank the cyl should have held anything that would have held      so wheres it all come from 

to push out the top flange its got to be many gallons to fill from supposed empty 

keep taking the pills  

Pete

I'm doing my impression of Pete the Plumber today. We have a loss of pressure and as the whole system is less than 2 years old I think it's the filter in the cold water combination valve. This controls the incoming mains water pressure to the apartment as is pre set at 3 bar.

We have our plumber on speed dial! 🤞

Iain 

Doug, looks like Pete the Plumber and Bob the Builder job! Good luck. 

I'm turning the mains off, opening the HW tap until it stops running then taking the cover off the valve and cleaning the filter. Hope this works but I might then have to repressurise the Megaflo. 

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Copper tank completely drained

Copper?!! That's SO last century! My new tank is stainless steel, same price as copper but 10 year guarantee as opposed to 2.

Ceiling seems to be dry, and plasterboard intact, so just got to clean off the black and paint. Gloss to seal and matt over the top.

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Copper?!! That's SO last century!

As is most of the house, despite having been built around 1985. I've never seen so much corner cutting in a build. The previous owners went for the cheapest they could buy, in anything, and we're now replacing it step by step. I don't know how they survived the winters with huge gaps round the windows and doors, insubstantial wall insulation, an inadequate boiler and the smallest gas stove I've ever seen in a fireplace. You can tell any of the rooms that I've stripped back to the bare bones and rebuilt just by the heat in them as you walk in and the boiler I fitted uses half of the oil for twice the heat output.

A replacement tank is not presently required, but I'd go for one of the coated versions that don't require lagging - stainless might be a bit OTT. 

Combination valve filter successfully cleaned, surprising amount of material clogging it. Much better pressure. 

No leaks (so far) and the Megaflo seems to be OK at least no drips from the TPR. 

Saved £160 as plumbers would have just replaced not cleaned! Lots of brownie points from the wife which are always useful when I cock up something. 

Iain 

The plumber that we use told me about replacement tank he had fitted a few months previous. He had the tank delivered to the customer as he did not know for certain what day he was going..... The first thing the elderly customer said to him was " they don't half pack them well these day's... It's taken me over three hours to get all that polystyrene off" It was true, he showed me the photo. He didn't say anything he just fitted it.

Tony.

When I had my boiler replaced they tried to persuade me to have a combi and do away with the tank, but I refused. Combi's are to much like putting all your eggs in one basket with pumps, valves etc. being proprietary rather than generic and there is always the backup of the immersion heater.

Regards

Paul

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

persuade me to have a combi and do away with the tank,

i reckon thats a wise move most combi's suffer the water heater demise after a couple of years 

condensers certainly run on less gas than the good old cast jacket one valve and thermocouple , no ecu to cost a mortgage 

i installed my Vaillant condenser 15 years ago i expect it to spring a leak anytime soon , the old cast last for ever these thin multi tubed boilers are alloy and dissolve regardless of addatives , so there's no economy  in the long term mine needed a new ecu board after 5 years as components were falling off

too many dry joints , Vaillant tech very helpful but wanted £400  ...what   ebay  £87   and then found two of the multiplugs fit both ways round  thats clever 

vaillant had the answer ... why on earth the paxolin board takes inhibited plugs anyway up ....  but then im old school 

its been fine since   fingers crossed 

Pete

My sisters brother in law, a gas fitter all his working life and still does inspections part time, also advised against combi's on older systems as the pipe work has to run at higher pressure which can cause leaks.

My condenser Vaillent,about ten years old, I was told has a stainless steel heat exchanger, sometimes wonder if th most important bit of condenser is con as the stated efficiency gain over the old type boilers is only when it is up to temperature. Bit like car cats needing to be hot to give the quoted benefits without saying how often and for how long the average drive achieves that.

Like many things we are told all smoke and mirrors.

Regards

Paul

2 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Combi's are to much like putting all your eggs in one basket with pumps, valves etc. being proprietary rather than generic and there is always the backup of the immersion heater.

We have a rental property with a combi boiler and the valve thingy controller whatsits failed, the tenants said it sounded as though it was going to blow up as it was spitting boiling water! As it was a rental and winter I wanted to get it fixed asap, £750 of labour and parts did the trick..... It seems the control assembly parts are not repairable just replaceable. I wasn't very happy but the tenants were!

Iain

9 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Copper?!! That's SO last century! My new tank is stainless steel, same price as copper but 10 year guarantee as opposed to 2.

Ceiling seems to be dry, and plasterboard intact, so just got to clean off the black and paint. Gloss to seal and matt over the top.

Doug

You can buy different spec copper cylinders, ranging from the rubbish ( what most plumbers and new home builders fitted) to the decent.

the spay on insulation makes it difficult to see what you get, but I was told if you don’t struggle to pick it up, it is too thin.

the thin ones are basically just a tin foil thick layer of copper stuck inside the polystyrene.

14 hours ago, Iain T said:

We have a rental property with a combi boiler and the valve thingy controller whatsits failed, the tenants said it sounded as though it was going to blow up as it was spitting boiling water! As it was a rental and winter I wanted to get it fixed asap, £750 of labour and parts did the trick..... It seems the control assembly parts are not repairable just replaceable. I wasn't very happy but the tenants were!

Iain

We moved into a property, with a Boiler of Unknown history. So against what is normally my better judgement on those things, I took out a "Service" plan. So far, this last 2 years anyway, I have had B-G out to it 3 times and the parts alone came to just short of the annual fee!, Because Mrs P is disabled they have us on priority too. B-G have had several attempts to get me to swap out the Boiler with tasty "come ons". But their own service guy`s reckon it`s one of the more reliable ones. It`s the Ancillaries that cause issues!.

Combi's tend to be very reliable. I have a total of around 150 years total spread over a number of properties. (not all mine)

They tend to last about 20 years, though one I had replaced a year ago was nearer 30 (a family member bought the place 4 years earlier)at a cost of £1500 via BOXT (brilliant service, boiler went wrong Sunday evening, new one fitted on the Tuesday, Used a Worcester which are pretty good). One I had fitted in a rental 20 years ago had a board failure after 3 years, but then at 17 years a valve went, cost £200. Also had one where the heat exchanger got clogged, but using a magnaclean sorts that issue now.

So I really don't have an issue with combi's despite my initial worries. Reliability is not a big issue if they are fitted correctly and a magnaclean is used and correct chemical dosage is used.