Vitesse quaterlight window felt replacement

Robin

I need to replace the felt that sits inside the front quaterlight channel on my vitesse passenger door but it looks as though I need to take out the complete quaterlight frame to do so. Has anyone done this and is it as complicated as it looks?

Would appreciate any advice.

as the new felt ( dropglass channel) has to be attached to the main NDV vertical frame rail its best you withdraw the assembly, if you leave it loose it will generally go up/ down with the glass   and if not attatched  there s a good chance it all flies out when you slam the door as the glass tries to escape 

look out for the wire constraint attached to the base , between the bottom of the two channels.

Pete

as the new felt ( dropglass channel) has to be attached to the main NDV vertical frame rail its best you withdraw the assembly, if you leave it loose it will generally go up/ down with the glass   and if not attatched  there s a good chance it all flies out when you slam the door as the glass tries to escape 

look out for the wire constraint attached to the base , between the bottom of the two channels.

Pete

Thanks Pete - is taking the assembly out a big job?

cant remember ever trying to remove the ndv without the door glass out first

the vent is held with 3 bolts in the carcass and a screw at the front .

I doubt there is enough room to lift and rotate the vent /channel to get the lower brkt out thro the glass gap . 

the workshop manual is a good as a chocolate tea pot on this subject,  mine dont cover the vent removal at all

be prpared for needing some replacement glass seal trim clips , as some will get hooked off,

need to make up a flat strip tool made to grip the clips and enoght handle to allow you to lift them in place

tip,,always tie a long cotton on these swines as they fly off and disapear

and six pairs of hands to pull cilp up, tap seal down ,all at the same time

with any glass seal always make sketch of which way round  things are   some glass channel  felts need to be reassembled/riveted to the original mountings and no matter how hard you try they end up back to front   ( got that tee shirt )

if you dont have a manual... add to wish list ...or   download from Steves site   http://www.vitessesteve.co.uk/Servicemanuals.htm

Pete

• 8 months later...

and to a dd a tip you may need to extend the nose of your pop rivet gun as the std wont get to the root of the channel 

there are long 'nipple' about but a stout small bush or a pack of small wasshers will hep 

or use a bifurcated rivet  with the two legs you can open out with a driver and tap down tight 

Bifurcated_Rivet-.jpg