Spitfire 1500 rear spring. Choices

I've decided over Christmas to replace the buttons in the rear springs, fit polybushes etc.

However, I wondering if I should replace the complete spring. 

I have heard horror stories around the fact that they tend to sit too high and lowering blocks are needed.

But the real question is suppliers - James Paddock do a new spring for about £90 (https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/rear-leaf-spring-mk1v-1500-3)

Or Canley Classic at some £235 https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-rear-suspension-road-spring

Now Canley I know do good stuff - but 2 1/2x the price? Is it that much better?

I might see if I can ring them in the morning and see what the difference is......

Sitting high is just down to the spring being

a) Needing to settle.
b) Being new but compared to some tired, sagging 40+ year old one that's technically been sitting too low.

Lowering blocks are normally a personal choice and down to people wanting their cars to sit lower/have more static negative rear camber than standard, rather than being to counter new springs being too high.

• Like 1

The boot does have some stuff in it - but not 1/2 tonne! 

I assume the fitted length is correct- I've not measured it! Presumably if I jack up the front and measure them that will give me an idea? Might have chance this week if I get the kitchen and breakfast room decorated during my week off.........

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

The boot does have some stuff in it - but not 1/2 tonne! 

I assume the fitted length is correct- I've not measured it! Presumably if I jack up the front and measure them that will give me an idea? Might have chance this week if I get the kitchen and breakfast room decorated during my week off.........

No measure the spring length with the car on the ground, compressed length. Should be 8" I think (sorry, out of time to look it up....)

• Like 1

so its looking like the spring pan is in the wrong place but its also worth detaching one  end of the anti roll bar if its bent and many are

you can get raised ride heights but would then expect the coil length  to be a bit different side to side if the bars affecting this

you dont have any leaning  but any idea gives you something  else  to do   Ha !!! 

Pete

Surely if the spring pan is in the wrong place, and presumably too high, the length of the shock is wrong below the bottom pan (as Clive has intimated)  as the spring length is correct between the pans. 
Given the shocks are Koni I can’t see them being manufactured incorrectly? 

My car. On Koni's. short 480lb springs and spacers which give 8" fitted length

6 years, 20K miles, and about 15 countries, not to mention trackdays and autosolos, have taken their toll on the cosmetics.

And I ought to mention the gearbox is in for attention too..... (jumping out of gear at 6500+rpm in third, scary in a corner. Did it repeatedly at Goodwood)

The rear arch height gives you an idea of how the car sits. Very stable at high speeds, corners/grips well. It was about 15mm lower, but speedbumps were sometimes an issue.