Spitfire 1500 rear spring. Choices

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

This looks wrong. 

No, that's correct and the gap at the top is taken up with a rubber spring pad. Interesting that the top leaves have buttons in between (you can see the dimples on the ends of the leaves), my last Herald renovation only has them on the bottom four leaves.

Yes it all makes sense now!  The top bush was poly - so something has been done in the past. No idea when. 
but I did get a new poly one so that has gone in

I’ve not fitted the lowering block - not sure it will need it long term anyway - as the front matches the back now! 

image.thumb.jpg.c6cb3195d8b71da2d8d44b3fcf4e5bc1.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.d33bb5b6df6ef24ed518c7068c00c820.jpg

I’ll give it a run out to properly settle on the bushes first.  Won’t be today though. 

But pleased it went in ok. I will probably replace the bolts in the diff at some point - I reused the old ones - I’d bought longer ones but haven’t fitted the lowering block - I don’t think at the moment it needs it. And the plain shank is longer too so can’t fit them and cut them down.

but changing one at a time is no biggy.  

if you want to fit the block later   cut the rear two holes to  a slot, then you can fit the block just remove two of the studs slide it in refit the front two  the holes dont locate its the fit in the diff slot that locates 

never tried but seems a short cut to dropping the whole spring 

Pete

• Like 1

Still not been out in mine yet (Can't yet as isolating) but have popped into the garage and measured from the floor to the bottom of the arch - and is now even both sides at 24 1/4" - which is 3/4" higher than Clive measured and 1 3/4" higher than mine was originally. Certainly happy enough for the moment. Just would be nice to go out in it......

• 2 months later...

Now I've been out a couple of times the rear is sitting better - not perfect yet, but definitely better - yesterdays trip included a run down a road that they have installed speed bumps (Hateful things) - but does seem to have settled the spring quite nicely.  

27 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

a run down a road that they have installed speed bumps

Some years back locally they got them wrong. Result the Buses (low floor jobs) where grounding. And the Paramedics where up in arms as they where having issues with tending to patients on the run. In the end they lowerd them and cut the sides away to acomodate commercial chassis.

Pete

Yes these are the ones that my daily will almost straddle - my old Disco definitely would - but not the spit - though the gap between the two on opposite sides of the road was big enough to get through with no bump - which was fine until a car was coming the other way ;) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

I meant what is the color called... 😄

9 hours ago, NonMember said:

Blue

🤪

I had the rear wing resprayed a year or so ago - and I did know what it was - but have forgotten now. Delft Blue possibly. 

• Thanks 1

There is a really good looking blue, in a metallic, on BMW (spit!!) which is parked so regularly in our road that I suspect she works in the Doctors or Pharmacy opposite. I`d love to know what it is as I fancy putting it (or similar) on the 13/60, if and when I get that far. A few shades lighter than the "official" Triumph Mid blue colour, but not far enough to stand out as "wrong". (Might be Le Mans Blue?) I`ve been coating the interior as I finished working on each section, from a 20? year old Gallon (4.54609 Litre?😁) tin of blue hamerite type industrial paint.(hence the hand painted look in photo`s) So it won`t look entirely "out".

Pete

• 2 months later...

Fitted a 1/2” lowering block this morning. 
wasn’t a bad job and Pete I did look briefly at the idea of cutting it - but decided to just drop the shock lower mounts and the upper spring mounts - i bought new nuts and bolts anyway so a change was on the cards. 
Took a bit of wiggling to get the bolts started - used a Allen key to find the hole and then a long bolt to start the first. Double nutted the studs and got them all in and tightened up with new nuts. The studs were new too. 

off to test it this afternoon when I pick up the MIL and then my Mum for tea. 

Need to get some fuel first though. Not filled it since august last year. 

Been out - about a 20miles round trip. But had to get fuel. Put 32ltrs in and got 33mpg. Happy with that. 

and it seems to drive ok. Needs to settle some more though. But wheels do look to be very slightly sticking out at the bottom.