New Steering rack, almost...

Hello, I just got a steering rack from Rimmer, removed the old one, easy. 

got the new one in and now got couple of question.

there is a picture of my old one, and it has the nut for grease, and the new rack came without.

Cant found it only, and can't remove it from the old one.... shall i just get a grease nipple and leave it there ?

I got the poly bush, and they don't seem to fit very well with the U bolt. how come ?

thx for help

post-1175-0-95172000-1436116534_thumb.jpg

post-1175-0-70402200-1436116536_thumb.jpg

post-1175-0-31204300-1436116538_thumb.jpg

post-1175-0-79869100-1436116539_thumb.jpg

Think most will say they dont recognise that rack , whilst there are a variety of rack manufacturer, s

and reconditioners I would question rimmers about what you have recieved as now you dont have an earth contact for your horn which was the eyelet under the grease plug.

which is not possible with what you have.

Pete

sorry never used poly on one of these racks,  

as the rack seems (to me) to be a bit hybrid it would be worth measure the diameter of your old one and compare ?

rubbers can be a bit of a squeegee fit but poly is often a bit better so  need clues from others who have fitted them

Pete

I have polybushes on my rear shockers. They were a pig to get on! People recommend a G cramp to pull them on, I didn't have one big enough so, took my vice off the bench, dragged it round the car and used that! I've read other threads were people say the polys they've been given are the wrong size, too big etc. You're another one for the list! You've got to squish them up, but they don't tell you that!

I have blue poly bushes on my steering rack - they look a bit squished like your pictures! I also found that they lifted the rack a tad which meant the nut on the steering joint rubbed on the member it passes through on the GT6 - small amount of filing solved that!

Gully

Gully ! had the same, when refitted the column, it wasn't align with the rack anymore, yeah that poly is lifting the all thing, crazy how you spend £££ on some piece of plastic, and good old rubber would fit better....

Looked at the pictures of racks for Vitesse on Rimmers web site, reconditioned seem to have provision for grease nipple new not. They also do a quick rack which must make the steering extremely heavy at parking speed. I find the standard rack, more turns lock to lock than a Herald bad enough.

Regards

Paul

The 6cyl rack has a anular groove machined in the input shaft splines to identify it

Think theres one tooth diference between 4 cyl and 6 cyl

So a quick 6cyl rack would just be a 4cyl

having had one before I new the difference

and some suppliers say they are all the same

(Not) with a smaller handwheel made parking

impossible without 6 shreaded wheat for breaky

Down to preference but has anyone fitted an electric powered column

very cheap on e bay, does it need an managment ecu

to detect speed and loads etc ??

Having fitted pstg to my 2000 I wouldnt want to go back to

having biceps like Popeye just o get on the driveway.

pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hi sean, I've got the same new Rimmer rack as you, and have no idea how to put more grease in, if you do find out let me know. I fitted polybush rack rubbers myself and they fitted just like yours, drove it for the summer, hated the feedback so removed and fitted the solid rack mounts. Like them so much have fitted them on both my cars now, also bonus of a little more clearance to the sump on my GT6.

Thanks

Jason

Here is waht Rimmer told me :

-regarding the fact that there is an open plug without cap :

"the grease plug is part number 133106 priced at £4.08+vat and the earth strap 130581 priced at £4.17+vat."

-about the grease :

"Thanks for the email, the new steering racks are greased and 'sealed for life' so don't have the old type thread for the grease plug/nipple, sorry."

but still got the feeling there should be a cap on it or something.

hope helps

be careful with ally rack mounts  , on the passenger end of the rack tube is a small hole with a short plastic plunger fitted, this is to damp rattle on rough road surface feedback.

the plunger is under the rubber mounting, if you fit a short type alloy this is exposed and it drops out, common trick is use a jubilee clip around the tube to hold it in place.

later racks  (like the rimmer supply) may not have this feature 

Pete

Down to preference but has anyone fitted an electric powered column

very cheap on e bay, does it need an managment ecu

to detect speed and loads etc ??

Yes. My old Spit-6 had just the "quick" Spit rack and was heavy below about 30 and VERY heavy at parking speeds. New Spit-6 has EPS (Electric Power Steering) - I did the box of tricks to wake it up and set the assistance and an expert did the splicing and welding into the steering column to keep the Triumph look. I used a Corsa-C module but I wish I had investigated the MGF which may have fitted better. They're all designed to have speed sensitivity but I haven't got round to designing that - just needs a sensor somewhere like the g'box output flange bolts and then something to translate the signal similar to Corsa speed pulses. I just leave mine on slightly more than minimum assist and it's fine.

Richard

Sean,

I fitted new? poly bushes to my Mk1 GT6 and did not like the movement in the rack. I then had further movement in the steering that I definitely didn't like. I had bought the bushes from the club shop about 5 years ago and had fitted most, but thought that it was time to change the steering bushes. Because of the movement I contacted Garth at the shop and he advised that approximately 2 years ago the steering bushes were changed for a much firmer bush. He willingly changed my bushes for the new ones. Once fitted they were much better, but I still had play, so I ordered a new rack. The new rack was similar to yours with no nipple. However I fitted it with the firmer bushes and whilst the fit was much better, I still had play. It was only then that I discovered that the steering clamp bolt was loose, so the new rack hadn't been necessary - what an idiot. As the new rack does not have the facility for locking the earth wire in place I used a jubilee clip clamped to the rack and that has proved OK. 

The pictures of your bushes look just like my original new ones.

Hope this might help,

NeilF