Effective burglar deterrents.

Ascalon

I have had intruders come over my rear garden wall a couple of times recently.  It’s easy for them to get in because although an eight foot tall drystone wall, my gardener foolishly dumped grass cuttings on the far side, thereby creating a ramp. Once on the inside the wall is very high. In fact the intruder had to drag a fiendishly heavy garden bench and table down to the wall in order to climb over it to get out. Frankly I’m surprised that he had any strength left after he had tried to drag an extremely heavy antique stone statue from the courtyard down to the garden wall two hundred yards away.  He got about three yards before giving up with the statue.    I have now reinforced the wall by cementing barbed iron spikes into it ; also on the inside I’ve knocked six inch nails into lengths of decking and laid those along the inside bottom of the wall.   There is one other deterrent I’ve heard about, though.   They are called MINE ALARMS and cost about twenty quid.   Apparently they are fixed to a strongpoint and primed with a BLANK repeat BLANK shotgun cartridge.  Then a sprung loaded thin wire is extended to another fixed point and fixed in place there.   Matey boy comes over the wall, trips the wire and then BLAMMO , off goes the cartridge.   They are entirely legal and quite effective, or so it seems.  Mind you, my blacksmith says his brother runs a mobile mechanics service. He fitted two of these to the inside of his van, came out one morning a bit pissed from the night before, forgot to unprime the devices, which went off and blew every window out of the van.  His woolly hat was found singed on a roof fifty feet away and his hearing has never been the same since.   Anybody else ever tried these things ?

no but i would like to try some on the backsides over the road who should live in a field miles away as sound like good fun and if anyone asks are  they ' MINE ' 

i can deny everything 

good luck , this begs a question   what are all after  the staute or the funiture   so now you have the best garden with  built in ..... Stinger

Pete

23 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

However, be aware that warning signs should be placed and, notwithstanding that, if the intruder is is any way hurt, which could include hearing or falling from height, that you are potentially liable.

Dick

One of the best parts of using any device of the type I have in mind is the fact that warnings signs ARE required. Since the warning signs for the ALARM MINES states that quite clearly plus the skull and crossbones, I would hope that just the signs might even suffice.

25 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Not to mention if he keels over from a heart attack.

Best deterrent is something they can't pin on you; something accidentally left lying around, like a board with nails sticking up. You made it for some other purpose, it blew over, you never realised, and it was left lying there. 

My garden is often invaded by deer, and again they can get in but not out. I have shot one or two.   Even my local Bobby, with whom I shoot, has bollocked me for that.   I’ll simply say that the spikes and nail boards were put there to prevent ingress by the deer.

12 minutes ago, Ascalon said:

Even my local Bobby, with whom I shoot, has bollocked me for that. 

Didn't he have room in his freezer? Many years ago (and safe to commit to print now, I hope...!) I accidentally shot a sheep; I don't think I hit it, the intention was to scare it out of the property it had strayed into, but it dropped dead at the bang. One of the gentlemen with me had been a trainee butcher and that animal ended up in more than one freezer. Venison, now... nice burgers.

12 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Didn't he have room in his freezer? Many years ago (and safe to commit to print now, I hope...!) I accidentally shot a sheep; I don't think I hit it, the intention was to scare it out of the property it had strayed into, but it dropped dead at the bang. One of the gentlemen with me had been a trainee butcher and that animal ended up in more than one freezer. Venison, now... nice burgers.

My Bobby mate gralloched the bugger for me.  I got the lights for me dogs, we split the venison and he kept the head and antlers.  I had a lovely place over my hall fireplace for the head, but you can’t argue with a Bobby,even if he is a mate.  Incidentally, a few years ago I had the chance to fish for salmon in a Norwegian river.  Only two people in the world are permitted to fish there, one is the King of Norway and the other is Eric Clapton.  As soon as I got there I told the gillies that there’d be a fish right behind a large rock downstream. Three casts and I’d hooked the bugger, a beautiful cock fish with not a louse on him.  At well over thirty pounds It took me twenty minutes to tire him and even then both gillies had to wade in up to their plums to grab him.   HE’S gracing the place on my chimney breast now and in the most beautiful of a mahogany and brass cornered glass case. Who needs a stags head !

I live in a more urban environment and we've recently had some car break ins. A couple who had car stolen some years ago had installed lights and cameras. Examination of their video recordings revealed the miscreants trying car doors. Good enough pictures for the rozzers to identify, so there's your answer, lights, camera, action!

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

I have used the 'mines' to great effect in a stage production (yes really). You need to use fresh 12bore blanks as old stock are notoriously unreliable as the caps get damp over time. A pair did blow the doors (you can all do the impression) off the prop cooker nicely though.

On 05/12/2020 at 19:40, Badwolf said:

I have used the 'mines' to great effect in a stage production (yes really). You need to use fresh 12bore blanks as old stock are notoriously unreliable as the caps get damp over time. A pair did blow the doors (you can all do the impression) off the prop cooker nicely though.

I asked the seller about any potential dampness problems.  He said that he coats each cartridge with one coat of women’s clear nail lacquer, but only when he puts them in damp areas.

On 18/11/2020 at 18:45, dougbgt6 said:

I live in a more urban environment and we've recently had some car break ins. A couple who had car stolen some years ago had installed lights and cameras. Examination of their video recordings revealed the miscreants trying car doors. Good enough pictures for the rozzers to identify, so there's your answer, lights, camera, action!

Doug

Unfortunately our garden wall where the villains choose to come in is several hundreds of yards away from any power source.  The cost of burying armoured cable to this point is prohibitive.  Any one ever used solar powered security lamps ? 

On 18/11/2020 at 15:54, Colin Lindsay said:

Not to mention if he keels over from a heart attack.

Best deterrent is something they can't pin on you; something accidentally left lying around, like a board with nails sticking up. You made it for some other purpose, it blew over, you never realised, and it was left lying there. 

That’ll work for me.   Thanks.

28 minutes ago, poppyman said:

How about an electric fence, they don't half give a good belt, would solve the deer problem as well :) 

Tony. 

That’s a good idea, but the problem of taking power from the nearest point still applies. Our summerhouse and ponds have power, but they are both several hundreds yards away.  The other outbuildings are even further away.  I’ll speak to my handy man about it.  The bugger of it is, though, that I gave several hundreds of yards of armoured cable away last year.  I tell you, hang on to everything, you never know when you’ll need it !   Looking on the bright side, though, the odd deer that still comes over the wall has provided me with no end of venison, the dogs are sick of eating the bloody stuff and I swear my bulldog is growing horns. I did think of selling it to the poor people in the village, just for nominal money in order for them not to feel like their living on charity, but I couldn’t find any poor people in the village where I live.   Watching the France v England game in the pub yesterday ( what a game, eh ! ) I did float the idea of bartering venison for booze, but Andy, our publican, is as tight as a ducks fundament, so we couldn’t agree on a rate of exchange. However, all is not lost, since Sue, his better half, told me last night that Andy was looking for a set of kitchen scales on eBay........and he’d also put a bottle of Lagavulin , my favourite Scotch under the bar.   So, I expect we’ll see venison burgers, venison rissoles, venison casserole etc on the menu soon.

It's actually the farm type i meant that run off a battery, and you can fit it with a solar charger. Most farm suppliers have them.    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fence-Electric-Set-For-Horses-Wild-Boars-Animal-Pet-And-Wildlife/202708553185?hash=item2f325f0de1:g:LCoAAOSwlv9aZLQq  This type on Fleabay you can get cheaper if you have a farmer pal. Believe me they give you one hell of a belt

Tony

Thanks, amigo.    For a man who lives in the country, shoots, rides and fishes, no fox hunting anymore ( I’m too old, and anyway I only went for the women, and I can’t even do that anymore since my 23 year old daughter watches me like a hawk) I’d quite forgotten about battery powered electric fencing.    Many, many thanks for the tip !

32 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I can second that - especially when the weather is damp 

I did try to step over one, long long ago but never forgotten, especially when it just touched the inside of my thigh.

We fence part of the paddock off when the grass is too long, and the poor-old forced-diet horse leans over as close as he can, just without touching... then he overreaches and does a dance around the field for a few minutes. Quite funny to watch.

32 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I did try to step over one, long long ago but never forgotten, especially when it just touched the inside of my thigh.

I ducked under one but my damp overalls touched the wire, less painful than your episode probably, but it did end up with me sprawled out face down.

1 hour ago, Ascalon said:

Thanks, amigo.    For a man who lives in the country, shoots, rides and fishes, no fox hunting anymore ( I’m too old, and anyway I only went for the women, and I can’t even do that anymore since my 23 year old daughter watches me like a hawk) I’d quite forgotten about battery powered electric fencing.    Many, many thanks for the tip !

That's how i know how powerful they are whilst out shooting a few years ago. I wondered why the others didn't take the short cut :( 

Tony.

2 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Have had two PIR solar powered LED flood lights, surprised at how bright they where, both suffered from rain water leaking in, both IP4 rated for water ingress.

Regards

Paul

Hello Paul, with all due respect, do you think that more expensive ones might have been better ?  Also, is a higher or lower IP rating better or worse ?