Help!! 2000 Mk2 Newbie

Simon

Yes, what Pete said.

Putting on my prophet of doom hat, if the thrust washers are worn the rest of the bearings may also be worn and it might be worth replacing the lot while your down there. But you'll see the condition of the rear main bearing when you get it off.

I'm sure yours wont be as bad as mine. My thrust washers were so worn that with the crank moving backwards and forwards the pistons were being dragged and pushed in their bores. This wore the bores into an elongated S shape and stuff was getting past the rings into the sump turning new oil to jelly in a matter of weeks. A re-bore was the only option. Shouldn't have told you that really. :o

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, progress so far, all back together, did the static timing and got it running, is running a bit rough and the mixture seems rich. So need to work through these.

Quick q, I noticed removing the oil filler car on the rocker causes the revs to drop. Is this normal? Is this due to the fact that it it is directly vented into the carbs? Or does this point to an issue? TIA

no youve just opened the manifold to ouside air

doing ths can speed up or slow down depends on how the things set 

the carbs or smiths valve allow any combustion gases to be sucked in and reburnt. based on no other air can get in

then you take the cap off and whoosh ,big hole lots of air ....no petrol   !!!!

Pete

OK thanks Pete. So been reading up on trying to get things setup corrected.

Is it best to start with the timing before carbs?

I did a static value at 10 deg BTDC which got it running (out as having fitted new chain) So is there an art to setting it, running UL fuel, I have a timing gun but waiting on a rev counter. any recommendations on setting for UL, both static and dynamic and at what revs with the advance disconnected?

I have cleaned and rebuilt the 150CD3 carbs with gaskets and new needle valves and fitted new needles, is it a case of just setting the needle base flush with the bottom of the piston and then balancing the idle with a tube by ear?

Then cleaning up the plugs and seeing if they are sooty?

I did try what the Haynes manual said about lifting the piston and if set correctly the engine should rise and then fall, but it didn't so turned clockwise to enrich and ended up fully lifting the needle and still did't behave as it said and ended up with black plugs. Am I doing something wrong?

I also need to check the (brand new) HT leads I got as got a shock off one, which would indicate its faulty I think?

for now forget the balance , set both throttles fully closed, then turn idle screw to just touch its abutement 

then turn screw 1.5 turns on each , connect the spindle link and jobs done for now.

once its running you can check with a balancer , but that how they were supplied to the engine bench in the factory, all settings were simple mechanical 

pre determined  no fancy stuff till the mid 80s.

to set the jets , remove damper stick screw driver down the hole , hold the piston down,

turn base adjuster up till it touches the piston, undo big nut 1/4 turn and give a tap to centre the jet.

test piston drops with a clunk ... nip the big base nut .

if you have top adjusters set the needle collar flush with base of piston , then adjust 1/4 turn at a time 

back off bottom  adjuster 3 turns ,  this will start it , as both jets are now in the same place adjust each equal amounts each time you twiddle

if you have lifting pins you need the filters on or you waste your time.

the piston lift pin needs to just touchy feel the piston then lift it 0.5 to 1mm   and note small changes in running  rich ups the idle 50 rpm 

weak drops the idle ... only a small change and only for a few seconds .

dont yank the pistons and expect wonderous changes , youre lifting fine a listening small.

as for listening with a tube ..  stick to the mechanical setting it will be as close as triumph ever fitted 

there are a load of simple pop over balancers available  for a few ££s,  

get one for christmas and use it when all is up and running

static timing with bulb across the coil or with a  strobe   10deg btdc is fine    low idle   600 or stationary vac adv discconected

dynamic look for 29/31 at 3000   check the manual as many dizzy figures for dynamic are decelerating

if the springs are fair and static is set then the dynamic should come out about right anyway

when she's on the road you may need to retard a couple of degs. if you get any pinking.

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for your reply, these 150CD3 carbs have no lifting pin, I was using a small screw driver to lift up the piston, however are you saying I should only be lifting is a <1mm - so a very small amount? Perhaps I'm lifting it too much.

Also for the needle, I think you are describing something different. I have the Stromberg tool which holds the piston and you turn the Allen key. I was setting the needle base 1mm proud of the base of the piston. Are you saying I should be setting it even more proud till it goes further into the body valve hole and then touches the body base and then wind back up Allen key by 1/4 turn?

Do you think the HT lead is dodgy or just a poor plug connection and shocked me when moving it?

Here is a link to Buckeye Triumphs, (recommended to me by someone called Pete Lewis) it tells almost all there is to know about Strombergs, although these are175s they are very similar to 150s. Tuning, I think, is the third link at the bottom.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Carbs/CarbsI/CarbsI.htm

I wouldn't get too hung up on static timing and strobe guns. It's best done by ear. Obviously it has to be someway before TDC then start it up and turn the dizzy to highest revs, then back a gnats. Take it for a run, if it pinks back a bit more until it doesn't pink. I have a tool for carb balancing but to be honest it's easily done by ear. I've done it by ear and checked it with the tool, spot on! (Another tool I didn't need!)

i meant to add the buckeye site , good for clues,  burlen and others give lots of how to.

with the top adjuster the small nylon  needle collar needs to be just level with the piston base or a small amount below it , never disapeared up inside or hanging down

nothing else to do , jets and such are all fixed so no twiddling to do

the sprung (biased) needles are self aligning  nothing to centre here.

the lift pins were all deleted when tamper proofing was introduced around the early 70s,  with the cleaner Off you cant get the correct mixture so any piston lifting is a waste of time 

maybe a colour tune will do what you need ....get two  one for each carb bank.

and dont forget to borrow Doug's  ears    !!!!!

shocks from HT leads is not uncommon if the  end on the cable is close to the end of the dizzy or plug moulding the spark will take the least line and jump to your hand.  youve got that Tee shirt already  ha !

Pete

• 1 month later...

Spent a bit of time tinkering, replacing the needle valves as the new ones kept jamming ans flooding -  Burlen sent me ones with mesh filters and a different pin design and seem much better design and less likely to stick.

Still very rough running so need to try and work through it.,

Anyway a question about the dizzy, so I set static to get running and then found I could turn it a long way clockwise and it seem to to make any difference to revs (vacuum hose on) I though this would increase the revs? Turning back did drop Is this normal?

Is this because the revs were really high as on choke and carbs not adjusted?

Or because the timing was set OK and more just will impact performance under load rather than revs? Or because the advance sorts it out?

Or would this indicate an issue, this is a brand new dizzy,

I believe the other did the same but not gone back to it.

TIA

PS great day at Duxford last week, shame that it was in note state to drive there!

Spent a bit of time tinkering, replacing the needle valves as the new ones kept jamming ans flooding -  Burlen sent me ones with mesh filters and a different pin design and seem much better design and less likely to stick.

Hi Simon,

I looked at Burlens homepage, but I could not find any needle valves with "improved design". Do you have a part number or any other info?

Thanks in advance,

Roger.

Hi Simon,

I looked at Burlens homepage, but I could not find any needle valves with "improved design". Do you have a part number or any other info?

Thanks in advance,

Roger.

See attached pictures of what they sent me.

Looks like its these? http://zenithcarb.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=B24008

Thanks Pete, reset everything but still running rough, just waiting for new plugs as not replaced them.

post-1242-0-69651500-1442772011_thumb.jpg

post-1242-0-96612800-1442772012_thumb.jpg

Rather than hijack the other threads I thought I'd carry on here..

OK so fitted new plugs and its still rough at all revs.

Now I have no history as to how it used to run and has sat for over 11 years,,

So far on this car I've fitted:

new plugs

new HT leads

new rotor arms

new dizzy caps

new points

new condenser

new dizzy to old unit

new coil (12v) to old unit

removed ballast resistor and joined connections together

new carb float needles

new mixture needles

new carb diaphrams

all new hoses

new carb gaskets

new voltage stabalizer

new fuel sender

Cleaned out fuel tank, pump and pipes,

cleaned out carbs

added fuel filters

new fuel hoses and clips

new rad and hoses

new timing chain

new typres

new shocks

new headlights

rebuilt clutch and brake masters

oil and filter change

Carbs seem setup fine and colour tune one in each bank seems about right as do plug colours

I did also try changing the mixture bud didn't make any difference to the rough running

pulling a HT lead off at a time didn't point to any of them

I did a compression test a few weeks ago while cold and started dry:

1      2      3      4      5      6

DRY  135  120  128  115  138  130

WET  138  125  130  120  140  137

Now I'm not sure if I put enough oil in as was difficult to tell at the time.

So 4 is a bit lower that the rest.

I probably should retest it warm maybe and more oil?

Are these about right for a MK2 2000?

Would these reading make it run very rough?

If these reading are correct its probably a mixture of slightly leaky valve seats and rings?

Starting to lose it now....

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance

PS If anyone in the Cambridge area is interested in picking this up this project!!

If poss always best to do it hot with all plugs out and throttles wide open

those results seem a tad low 2 and 4 are below the others was this done withbplugs In?

Youve done everything else add head off to the list

double check your firing order is 15 36 24 anticlock

if you need support I can run over from sunny luton

pete

One thing I forgot to add, inlet manifold was off and sent away to CW to get the banjo snapped machined out. I refitted it without a new gasket (I have) as didn't want to break the exhaust as well.

Also use jump leads to ensure the engine was fully earthed.

Below is a also a vid, of it showing it running, recording sound isn't great but you can see it shaking

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=E6EC3B5B8564E565&resid=E6EC3B5B8564E565!278&authkey=ANiVrm94zbfmdHA