GT6 Mk2 Steering wheel + Shifter assembly wanted

avivalasvegas

6 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

I believe this steering wheel was fitted to earlier GT6 models? I'm looking for one to replace my wooden steering which I will happily trade, as I try to bring the car back to original spec. 

IMG_7917.jpg

That wheel 2 litre and mk2 vitesse, plus mk3 spitfire. (vitesse had leather cover IIRC, spit not, but that could just be my memory playing tricks)

Dick has it spot on for the gt6 MK1. £200 will buy a usable one, once you have found any for sale. Beware, MK1 PI saloon is very similar looking. There is a dealer option Les Leston wheel, but that really will blow the budget.

MK2 GT6 had this style, not sure if throughout the entire production run. Shared with mkIV spitfire, some TR6. I think I have a reasonable one in the loft...

image.jpeg.eaa14739948ab94610ecbe5c453e5ac7.jpeg

As Clive says, that first photo is a pre-facelift Mk3 Spitfire wheel. The Vitesse wheel is the same but with a leather cover on the rim.

Clive's Mk2 GT6 photo is the style of wheel fitted to post-facelift Mk3 Spitfires, and Mk4 - I'm also not sure whether the GT6 had that style all through the MK2 production.

1 hour ago, Mark B said:

I thought the mk2 gt6 had plastic covers over the spokes or did I dream it?

I think I saw that somewhere, too. Indeed having checked the book of motoring press article reprints, you're right. So the wheel Clive showed is a Mk3 wheel - possibly also on facelift Mk2 (1970 model)

I assume in the UK there are people who recover steering wheels ,my Dolly Sprint has been done professionally in thin leather by a chap here in Melb who came and gave a talk/presentation to my previous club. What a great job it is too retains the original look and feel ie it’s also the thin rim feel it’s stitched on and very tidy where it goes over the spokes.

ref the aftermarket lace on leather covers I think we all put them on in the 60/70’s they provided a thicker wheel and if you were careful you could get a good fit BUT they could be loose and twist on the wheel I think they cost around a fiver , I see there up around 50 nowadays I presume there the same quality with the same tightness issues.

I reverted the Mk2 Vitesse back to the original the leather has scuffed up over 50 years but still sound, any ideas how to clean up and refinish it.

31 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

I assume in the UK there are people who recover steering wheels ,my Dolly Sprint has been done professionally in thin leather by a chap here in Melb who came and gave a talk/presentation to my previous club. What a great job it is too retains the original look and feel ie it’s also the thin rim feel it’s stitched on and very tidy where it goes over the spokes.

ref the aftermarket lace on leather covers I think we all put them on in the 60/70’s they provided a thicker wheel and if you were careful you could get a good fit BUT they could be loose and twist on the wheel I think they cost around a fiver , I see there up around 50 nowadays I presume there the same quality with the same tightness issues.

I reverted the Mk2 Vitesse back to the original the leather has scuffed up over 50 years but still sound, any ideas how to clean up and refinish it.

You could go to a local upholsterer, who will recover the wheel for a lot less than a retrimmer (at least mine do!)

I have a leather cover on my Herald wheel, but it's bound round with leather thongs so won't budge before doomsday.

10 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You could go to a local upholsterer, who will recover the wheel for a lot less than a retrimmer (at least mine do!)

I have a leather cover on my Herald wheel, but it's bound round with leather thongs so won't budge before doomsday.

Google, pulls up dozens of (steering wheel) cover suppliers for just a few quid, many claiming to be "genuine" not P-U leather. An hour or two and a bit of patience, I doubt if anyone would see the difference?.

Pete

• Like 1

The offset spoke type wheel was I believe fitted to early 2 Litre Mk1 Vitesse's, TR4's and possibly 4a's with a leather cover?

All Mk2 Vitesse models and most of the later Mk1 2 Litres had a similar Leather covered sprung spoke wheel but with the spokes centred on the boss.

I reckon Mk3 Spitfires had the the same sprung wheel, again with centered spokes but no leather cover.

The earlier GT6 Mk2 wheel was similar if not exactly the same as a TR5 wheel with the Moulded Covers over the spokes, for the American crash laws of the time.    

All wheels 15" diameter as standard, but the MK2 Vitesse parts book lists a 16" Option and the Wooden or Leather 3 spoke 15" Formula Style Wheels available to all models, again as an option.

The Wooden Formula style look great but aren't that comfy to use in my opinion.

Formula Wood Rim Wheel.JPG

• avivalasvegas changed the title to GT6 Mk2 Steering wheel + Shifter assembly wanted