GT6 MK1 Center Panel Dash How does it attach?

AidanT

Can anyone help me with diagrams / pictures on how the center dash panel is attached to the metal facia? The top two screws either side are obvious however I have a metal 90 L shape metal strip at the bottom which screws in to the back of the wood. At t the moment I have this so that the Bottom lip of the L goes under the metal facia and I have screws - not original that I have fitted in to U clips / Speed fasteners as there are just holes in the metal facia - 

This just doesn't seem like its right to me so if anyone with or has knowledge of a MK1 GT6 facia   Can you advise ? I know the Mk1 is different to all the other dashboards

Thanks in advance

Aidan

I hope you can make this out - my dash has been removed for rewiring (remember the article on the LED bulbs? Never got it all back together yet.. :)) but the centre section slots under the long dash support bracket and two screws go up through the two holes in the L-shaped metal strip and into captive nuts behind the support bracket. Once these are loosely tightened the top two screws can be fitted then the entire section aligned and tightened. I’m just holding mine in place with fingertip pressure.

post-151-0-95272000-1436292431_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Colin. No problem I didn't realise how captive nuts worked ! Any way got some quarter inch ones had to make the holes a little bigger but it's now back together I still don't seem to be able to get it perfectly in line with the other two sections. I may have to take the L bracket off again and do a bit of alteration

Aidan

• 2 months later...

Hi once more  - Back to this one as I am still not happy with the alignment I have with the three separate wood panels (Sorry me being OCD :) )  

I think its time to possibly remove the bottom L shaped bracket and fit a further two Screws to the face of the panel trying to match up the ones at the top.

Just a quick question if anyone else has fone down this route at all? - It would also have the advantage of not having to remove the dash support bracket which is a pain 

Any advice welcome!

Aidan

Hi Colin

I think my dash has sunk in it 48 years ! don't most things ! :)   So the support bracket is an extremely tight fit and is in the way of the flat head bolts attaching the L bracket to the bottom of the metal facia behind the wood. So I have to remove the bracket to get to these bolts. My plan is to add a further two screws to the front Wood in to the the metal facia - I am not sure but I think the Mk3 is fitted this way ??

Aidan

• 1 month later...

Just completed the modification this weekend and now have four screws in each corner of the center dashbourd section. I have been able to align it perfectly with both side panels and have an even gap. I have been able to get rid of the L section metal bracket from the back

All I am waiting for now is the return of my oil pressure / temperature gauge which I have out for refurbishment and illumination

Will add a picture when its all done but so far I think it looks good :)

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...