The best key chain?

avivalasvegas

I had one of those, bought from the Bugatti museum in Mulhouse nearly 30 years ago. Sadly it got lost☹️

These days I don't bother with a fob at all, as my cars all need 3 keys unlike earlier cars. But I have a selection of Triumph fobs from over the years.

But buy whatever takes your fancy, it really is personal choice.

Most authentic would be the original dealer keyfob. Probably printed with their name. 

Not sure if the current black leather fob with a circular logo on it are reproductions of originals ones.

There are also ones with model names on them, I have a very old Herald that one somewhere.

image.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I used to have one like that, but it fell apart and my daughter got me one of these. It has my name on the back, very useful should I have a memory lapse.

db

Doug, if it fell apart it can't be the same as teh one I had. That was a daily car, and the keyring was in use for about 10 years before loss. A friend has the same, still has it. He got his from the same source (but a few years before me)

Guess somebody is making similar ones now. 

A small point but very relevant - go for leather; the ignition switch on your car, as on mine, is on the dash and a metal keyring swinging about as the car moves will damage the dash veneer. Even hitting it off the door as you unlock the car can mark the paint. Maybe only slightly, but it builds up over the years.

Another point worth remembering - if you go for a keyring with the model on it ie GT6 / Herald then if you drop them, for example at a show, then they can be returned to you, or identified from lost property, much more easily.

1 hour ago, clive said:

Doug, if it fell apart it can't be the same as teh one I had. That was a daily car, and the keyring was in use for about 10 years before loss. A friend has the same, still has it. He got his from the same source (but a few years before me)

No, it was identical, mine came with the car, also a daily drive for 10 years and a weekend there after. But, 40 years later the leather rotted away, my sweaty hands I guess. Nothing lasts these days! :angry: I still have the metal bit in my sock drawer. 

Doug

2 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

The Club Shop has a big range of decent quality reproductions of the original dealer fobs.

Nigel

So are the ones like the photo Paul posted the style of original dealer fobs?

I have a club sourced Spitfire one from 30 years ago still looking like new, and what must then be an original Herald one that will go back into service next year that could be 53 years old. 

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

No, it was identical, ... But, 40 years later the leather rotted away

I think there's some confusion. I had read Doug's post as meaning one like Scrapman's, which was leather, not Clive's, which he said was like the one AVLV posted at the top of the thread.

4 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Most authentic would be the original dealer keyfob. Probably printed with their name. 

Like this sort of thing? To be completely accurate you'd need to know who the original Triumph Dealership was that sold your car, then work back from there. There are so many variations of modern and remade keyrings about these days that finding an original 1960s version will be real detective work.

s-l1600-169.jpg.b018c047d684f5f8f6a2ab1cd54aec80.jpg

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

So are the ones like the photo Paul posted the style of original dealer fobs?

I have a club sourced Spitfire one from 30 years ago still looking like new, and what must then be an original Herald one that will go back into service next year that could be 53 years old. 

Yes, Paul's photo looks like a dealer fob.

Nigel

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

Goodness, we must be getting bored in this lockdown. 16 posts in 6 hours about key fobs.😁

I'm waiting for the technical posts to start: how some members have converted their cars to keyless, run from their mobile phones, which is the way forward now that stocks of original keys are running out; how others have used the ignition system from a Ford somethingorother which is much smoother and more reliable to start except that the ignition slot is now behind the driver; how, if you use a key with a rectangular head instead of the round head that Triumphs originally had you have to upgrade all the wiring due to the extra strain the bigger key puts on the system, and how, if you use too heavy a key ring, you need to update the front suspension and roll bar, with graphs of data and performance figures to prove it... :)

(I'll be hiding behind the sofa if you want me, just in case someone has done it already...)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm waiting for the technical posts to start: how some members have converted their cars to keyless, run from their mobile phones, which is the way forward now that stocks of original keys are running out; how others have used the ignition system from a Ford somethingorother which is much smoother and more reliable to start except that the ignition slot is now behind the driver; how, if you use a key with a rectangular head instead of the round head that Triumphs originally had you have to upgrade all the wiring due to the extra strain the bigger key puts on the system, and how, if you use too heavy a key ring, you need to update the front suspension and roll bar, with graphs of data and performance figures to prove it... :)

(I'll be hiding behind the sofa if you want me, just in case someone has done it already...)

All this will be called an upgrade, but can be like favoured products which have been reformulated, translation we have found a way to make it cheaper to increase profits, or improved, translation we have found a way to make it cheaper to increase profits.

Regards

Paul

• Haha 1

I had a nice (modern) keyring with SAH Tuned in red enamel last year,i lost it along with the 3 keys for my Vitesse,it must of fallen out of my pocket when i took out my moderns keys,or possibly wallet.Cue new locks for the Vitesse including ignition.

Can`t find another one available now.

Steve

SAH-Keyring.PNG

4 hours ago, NonMember said:

I think there's some confusion. I had read Doug's post as meaning one like Scrapman's, which was leather, not Clive's, which he said was like the one AVLV posted at the top of the thread.

Yes indeed! I got excited, recalling a party I once went to involving exchange of car keys.

Doug

8 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

DSC00887.jpg

I have one like this that I bought at a big local classic car spares gathering a couple of years ago. I haven't declared this to the vehicle registration people as I don't want to lose the right to have my car classed as "voiture de collection" 🥴

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yes indeed! I got excited, recalling a party I once went to involving exchange of car keys.

I guess you didn't really?, though if so, what was it like? (generally speaking).

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Phew!. Actually, I'll take back what I said. Quite happy, just looking at some good old fashioned key thingy's.😊.

Edited by daverclasper
  • Haha 1