Servicing TR6 Inner UJs

Paulfc

The UJ assemblies on the inner final drive have grease nipple fittings. However, getting to them is a challenge. The conical covers make inserting the nozzle of a grease gun a challenge. To overcome this I cut a flap in the covers making access easy and stitched it up when finished using thin cable ties. Cover effectiveness is maintained and future servicing made easier. But, on the near side, I couldn’t attach the gun because the nozzle was too big to insert onto the nipple, being baulked by the UJs. Looking at it the nipple doesn’t appear to protrude far enough but does look as though it has been used previously, but how? Are there smaller profile nozzles or am I missing something? As ever, all help and guidance appreciated.

the 2000  also has Uj shields  which have little purpose other than prettying up a Uj  the outer ones are impossible to get to as within the trailing arm 

all pretty daft .

there are longer nipples available which might helpbut may need removal after greasing

most uj greasing is almost a waste of time debateable if  it extends any life and on Tr6 or big saloon you can only get at 2 of the 4 

Pete

i pulled a shaft from a stag and the silly cover thing was so hard and so big whilst brute force extracted it thro' the back plate hole  any chance or refitting 

was proved impossible  .......... yes it got terminated    

were they just to make it pretty , cut down some noise, or debris flinger   who knows   ???  

answers on a postcard 

Pete

Thanks guys. I guess they’re to give some protection to the joint but, as said, who knows. Just aware that the Triumph designers usually did things for a purpose. 

Any views on on smaller grease gun nozzles, are there such things?

25 minutes ago, Paulfc said:

Thanks guys. I guess they’re to give some protection to the joint but, as said, who knows. Just aware that the Triumph designers usually did things for a purpose. 

Any views on on smaller grease gun nozzles, are there such things?

Here’s a set I’ve got but haven’t used them yet . Amazon about £23. Plan is for rear UJs on my rotoflex Vitesse 

D1309E81-1B25-42E9-A649-28CD100D8A19.thumb.jpeg.3c562f92076852c87a8b260bef14bee0.jpeg

Paul