Spattered insects

daverclasper

5 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

I can remember when a summer motorway trip provided loads. Not sure I get any now. Same with lot's of insects in the headlights.

I can only think it must be down the decline in wild life?.

Dave

There was a program i think it was on Quest Dave on this very subject, and it was down to a decline in the insect population. I can remember having to stop on motorways years ago to clean the windsceen before carrying on. It has got much worse in the last few years.

Tony. 

3 hours ago, daverclasper said:

I can remember when a summer motorway trip provided loads. Not sure I get any now. Same with lot's of insects in the headlights.

I can only think it must be down the decline in wild life?.

Dave

It's the increase of cyclists on the roads, they harvest them as they cycle, like a whale does plankton.

Do you remember the plastic insect deflectors that cars used to be fitted with, where a bonnet mascot should be?    Usually bright orange, for some reason:

vw-wirbulator-windscreen-wind-deflector-classic-car-accessory

There is a modern equivalent for Chelsea tractors, which are about as aerodynamic as a  ... Vitesse!

Do Bug Deflectors Work? Should I Get A Truck Bug Shield?

16 hours ago, poppyman said:

There was a program i think it was on Quest Dave on this very subject, and it was down to a decline in the insect population.

Nothing to worry about, it’s just the collapse of the food chain.

Boris will sort it, he has a cunning plan.

Doug

way back in the late 70s when caravaning a friend always said he towed better when the dingy was on the roof rack with that in mind i made a roof spoiler and added some wool to see where the air went , all low tech but proved it didnt matter too much where you positioned the thing , as the strands all went over the top of the caravan not down in front of it, the result was you gained 15mph and less fuel  but the best was ..........NO Flies on the front of the van 

a few years later they were being marketed , i missed out  mine was clear plastic so the retrovisor could look through it 

it died when stowed under the car ...you got it  ,  crunch Oops!!!

Pete

6 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

way back in the late 70s when caravaning a friend always said he towed better when the dingy was on the roof rack with that in mind i made a roof spoiler and added some wool to see where the air went , all low tech but proved it didnt matter too much where you positioned the thing , as the strands all went over the top of the caravan not down in front of it, the result was you gained 15mph and less fuel  but the best was ..........NO Flies on the front of the van 

a few years later they were being marketed , i missed out  mine was clear plastic so the retrovisor could look through it 

it died when stowed under the car ...you got it  ,  crunch Oops!!!

Pete

I remember buying one of those Pete, the type that clamped to the roof gutters?

Tony.

My GT6 gets covered in splattered insects over the summer - windscreen, headlamps and front edge of the bonnet. I regularly clean them off. The front number plate of my modern catches them too, but the rest of the car generally seems far less affected - presumably down to aerodynamics (of the car rather than the insects!).

If you're not seeing them - drive faster! 😁

Gully

• 1 month later...

As Pete Said. Back when my boys where into sailing we had a Mirror Dinghy. (remember them?) which we "roofed", because of towing the caravan, went often to the lakes from E-Yorks. Alway`s had better performance and fuel consumption.

Conversly. The small screen fitted to the BMW RS used to chuck the flies straight onto the Helmet!!.

Pete