Mintex 1144

Paul H

17 minutes ago, clive said:

Yep, they are the ones. Guess the ones I mentioned the other day @ £45 have gone?

Thanks Clive , purchase made and 1 left now with this seller . Confirming the £45 ones have been sold . Big saving on Club price at £72 plus postage 

Paul 

• Like 1

always bed in mintex as per their instructions 

Bedding Procedure for M1144 / M1155 / M1166

1) Clean discs with brake cleaner

2) Following initial brake test start with 3 – 4 light applications from 30mph down to 0mph.

After these, follow the steps below according to Material.

M1144: 6 / 7 medium pressure applications 70mph down to 30mph

M1155: 8 / 9 medium pressure applications 90mph down to 30mph

M1166: 9 / 10 medium applications 90mph down to 30mph

When carrying out the bedding process, do not allow the brakes to drag, do not left foot brake. To do so may result in damage to, or failure of the brake system.

Leave the brakes to completely cool.

For Further information please contact Richard Barton on 0127485403

mintex bedding.pdf

• Thanks 1

Ha  !!!      read it  thats   only for 1155   and 1166    we not using them  think they are more  for  racing pads 

when pushing the VIt6 to get a ferry  the door mirrors fold in over 90 

and the guy who bought her clocked 106 on his phone on  a test run downhill on A6   Barton cutting 

so they can do it  but that is breaking the rules just  a bit 

Pete

13 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ha  !!!      read it  thats   only for 1155   and 1166    we not using them  think they are more  for  racing pads 

when pushing the VIt6 to get a ferry  the door mirrors fold in over 90 

and the guy who bought her clocked 106 on his phone on  a test run downhill on A6   Barton cutting 

so they can do it  but that is breaking the rules just  a bit 

Pete

Re bedding in and the cooling . Is this after each test or series of tests ? 
Paul 

i would do 3 firm pull ups then allow to cool dont stop or the  hot  resin bonds to the disk 

so a careful drive till cooled ,for a few minutes 

with any brake testing  observe the road and who is behind you !!!!      

any smoke or flames and youve over done  it   a gentle pong of hot is ok 

often called an Italian Tune up  

this is really applies to any pad replacement what ever make or material 

Pete

• Thanks 1

back when we could test trucks  on roads it was common to have a trade plate "BRAKE TESTING"

and indicate left when braking........but we've discussed that option   

never got good results on a bus chassis as no screen for the decelerometer and wooden seat

got you splinters in  your bum 

with  poor results   with a  full cab   you moved the meter higher up the screen ,, solved 

happy days 

Pete

A few years ago when my discovery went in for a mot they put an accelerometer in the passenger door well back out of the garage and then accelerated and braked to make sure they were ok.  (they hadn’t got a 4 wheel roller) 

Had a phone call a short while after getting my car from them.  “Can we have our accelerometer back please” 😂😂

1 hour ago, Nigel Clark said:

Oy, enough about BMW drivers! It's just those awful chaps in Audis and Mercs giving us bad name.

Nigel 

Sorry Nigel, i thought it par for the course if you own a german car?  I own a VW  so thought i might get away with it :) 

Tony.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nigel Clark said:

No worries, no offence taken... Just thought I needed to try and rebalance the conversation!

Nigel

I'm with you, Nigel. As a former BMW and Mercedes driver I've always found the Audi drivers to be the problem! 🤣 It's no coincidence that most new-ish Audis are fleet cars...

People moan about BMW drivers not letting them out at junctions - one of the first things I noticed when I had mine was how other BMW drivers do let you out...

Gully

3 minutes ago, Gully said:

I'm with you, Nigel. As a former BMW and Mercedes driver I've always found the Audi drivers to be the problem! 🤣 It's no coincidence that most new-ish Audis are fleet cars...

People moan about BMW drivers not letting them out at junctions - one of the first things I noticed when I had mine was how other BMW drivers do let you out...

Gully

Sorry guy's i could never own a BMW not after all i have said about them.... I would never live it down :(  I am a firm believer in German products though, they just seem to be better made and just keep working for ever.... Apart from BMW indicator stalks of course. Now if they got that sorted...... :) 

Tony. 

my only experience with Merc was when truck engines were in limited supply and we had to use a nightmare merc unit with no oil supply to the mains or big ends which failed cost a fortune in warranty , but when its merc or bosch or ZF

its never their fault ,  you had to drag them screaming to realise they made mistakes ....  big ones 

pete

I've had 3 Audi's, 1 BMW and a couple of VW's (Some worked some were spares for the ones that worked! - was back as a kid when I had a Beetle) - Not owed a Merc but have been in a few and drove one to Germany. I now have a Skoda.

As it stands I wouldn't buy another BMW - lovely engine (I bought it to experience the 3ltr engine - which is as good as it is said to be) - but aftersales is not good (Ok but not great). And I wouldn't buy another Audi or VW.

But I would buy another Skoda. Basically it is a VW/Audi, without the price tag (And to be fair slightly cheaper trim) 

• Like 1

"Real" Merc owner here. Everything about the reputation remains valid till the mid 90's. Everything out of Stuttgart post 1998 is designed for the scrap heap. Everything went downhill from there and Toyota gladly took their place.

BMW/ Audi never really had the mantle to begin with. They're fun...just never built the same way. Which is why you'll hardly ever see them on the roads today.

IMG_1753.thumb.JPG.2965d5e255d3b3e683fdc1b5000c466f.JPG

IMG_7030.jpg

On 04/12/2020 at 17:26, 68vitesse said:

Mercedes relies on previous reputation for quality.

And BMW and Audi from mid 2000s onward, over-complex, overpriced, underbuilt. Horrid to work on too. And this from someone who has run Audis since 1994..... older Audis. 

On 03/12/2020 at 18:18, Paul H said:

My Vitesse has never seen 90 mph 😱😱😱😱

108 (sat nav) in two places on the Nordschlieffe and on one occasion on an autobahn. That was the old engine and as fast as it could go I think. The new engine brought 112 on an autobahn. There may have been a little more to come, but that was more than enough. 90 is plenty in a Vitesse convertible - all gets a bit flappy..... Saloon maybe a little less noisy/alarming.......

Nick