150cd throttle cable return spring problem?

Jeffds1360

Hi Guys, just found why I have an erratic/high tickover.....it is that stupid spring that compresses when accelerating. It is fitted between  a bracket attached to the manifold and the bracket the throttle cable fits into. It gets shortened when under throttle and is meant to 'push' the cable back up when foot off gas.

First time I have seen a 'push' spring, they normally pull!..... the only pull spring is on the cold start lever (choke) and this works fine but the throttle spindle does not 'push' all the way back. I don't know if this is normal on other model but my 13/60 has it.

There are of course the springs wrapped round the spindles and they seem fine, it is just the last few mm that I need to get idle down. Is it just a question of cleaning and lubricating or can you get a replacement spring? 

I've googled and searched carb part suppliers but not found it mentioned, even in Haynes and my old Vit/Spit 1964 WSM.

Any clues please?

Part number 131368. First thing I'd do is remove and clean it, just in case; but check the bracket that it passes through as these can sometimes wear into an oval shape and prevent free movement. They're used on a variety of models (pic is from a Spitfire 1500 so linkage is different), if I can locate any I'll update. I suspect the reason they're NLA (from Canleys) is because they're only a simple spring so available elsewhere. Just haven't found where exactly, yet!

s-l640.jpg.38fe4f505ba5d3386565c073a3415200.jpg

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-herald-13/60&diagram=triumph-herald-13/60-acceleration-control

i would suggest add a bit of slack in the cable  or  stretch the spring adding a bit of tube will restrict full throttle 

and if you need a new cable get down the bike shop , brake cables are better than most throttle cables sold and 

a rear ladies is long  enough to make 2 or 3   may need a solderless nipple for one end 

but far cheaper and far better 

Pete

well thank you gentlemen, that was amazingly fast set of replies.

my eyesight does not allow me to see the numbers on the diagram supplied by Chris but it is the coiled spring in the bottom left. The bracket shown below is bolted under the manifold. My bracket is 'slack' and I have been unable to tighten or slacken it. 

If 20 is the circled central bracket showing in the middle of the diagram..... I don't think I have one of them, but I have not looked for it. :) is it a support for the throttle cable? My cable just loops up and over and ribs on the bonnet!!

Great, thanks again, I'll strip it off, clean it up and see what occurs.

Most grateful. ... now get out and get some work done :) 

29 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

well thank you gentlemen, that was amazingly fast set of replies.

my eyesight does not allow me to see the numbers on the diagram supplied by Chris but it is the coiled spring in the bottom left. The bracket shown below is bolted under the manifold. My bracket is 'slack' and I have been unable to tighten or slacken it. 

If 20 is the circled central bracket showing in the middle of the diagram..... I don't think I have one of them, but I have not looked for it. :) is it a support for the throttle cable? My cable just loops up and over and ribs on the bonnet!!

Great, thanks again, I'll strip it off, clean it up and see what occurs.

Most grateful. ... now get out and get some work done :) 

Part N° : 131368

Yes, clearly we haven't got anything better to do, sad really isn't it . 😱